RAID Card

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
Just now, k_benlevi said:

There isn't one SATA port on the board, nor any PCI-E slots. Need an interface for SATA. It's just temporary.

this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-to-4-ports-SATA-Serial-ATA-RAID-Sil3114-3114-Converter-Controller-I-O-Card-/161225040708?hash=item2589c2e344:g:41EAAOSwDNdVi8C2

Looking for a budget RAID card. Must be PCI (non express). Please don't lecture me about the limitations of PCI, I'm well aware. Please help me find a PCI SATA raid card for my old system. Should be under $60 on Amazon

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

IDE, sata, SAS, scsi, or FC

What OS?

What system?

What drives?

SATA Drives, Windows 8.1, custom pc, 7200RPM 1TB Drives

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

raid level? what board?

RAID 5. I forgot the motherboard model, it has a free PCI Slot. It is compatible with any PCI Card.

RAID 5. I forgot the motherboard model, it has a free PCI Slot. It is compatible with any PCI Card.

and you cant use pcie?

your much better off using storage spaces in windows instead of hardware raif on a cheap or old card

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

and you cant use pcie?

your much better off using storage spaces in windows instead of hardware raif on a cheap or old card

There isn't one SATA port on the board, nor any PCI-E slots. Need an interface for SATA. It's just temporary.

this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-to-4-ports-SATA-Serial-ATA-RAID-Sil3114-3114-Converter-Controller-I-O-Card-/161225040708?hash=item2589c2e344:g:41EAAOSwDNdVi8C2

4 minutes ago, k_benlevi said:

Perfect, thank you so much. May I ask, what are the downsides to using cheap RAID cards? Speed? Reliability? Bandwidth? Ports?

a pci card will be slow, cheap cards like to fail and take data at times. Raid 5 on cards will be slow, but just use storage spaces.

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

a pci card will be slow, cheap cards like to fail and take data at times. Raid 5 on cards will be slow, but just use storage spaces.

I also have a Highpoint Rocketraid 1820A PCI-X card, is it better than the one on eBay? It's in use right now but I could order 2 of the cards on eBay to replace the rocketraid...

3 hours ago, k_benlevi said:

I also have a Highpoint Rocketraid 1820A PCI-X card, is it better than the one on eBay? It's in use right now but I could order 2 of the cards on eBay to replace the rocketraid...

id stick with the rocket raid if it works