T2i

piplupgao
Go to solution Solved by niksuto,

You want to change your shutter speed to B (Bulb mode) while you're in manual. Then for as long as you hold the shutter release the mirror and curtain will be open.

How do I adjust the shutter speed so that it remains open until I press it again on the T2i?

To make something like this?

Shutter_speed_pool.jpg

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

Shoot in manual set it to 1 second or something like that and a loww iso 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Shoot in manual set it to 1 second or something like that and a loww iso 

but how do I make the shutter speed really long like 30min or something?

!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

You want to change your shutter speed to B (Bulb mode) while you're in manual. Then for as long as you hold the shutter release the mirror and curtain will be open.

Does anyone even use PCIe SSDs?

Its all about shutter speed. I have no idea if the t2i can hold its shutter for 30 min though. Its looks like that effect was maybe 5 minutes. 

Its all about shutter speed. I have no idea if the t2i can hold its shutter for 30 min though. Its looks like that effect was maybe 5 minutes. 

have you been breathing 480 exhaust? 5 minute shutter speed would end up with a picture that looks like this

just white

the highest shutter speed that this photo could of been taken with is 5-10 seconds most likely 2-3 seconds. 

#KilledMyWife 

have you been breathing 480 exhaust? 5 minute shutter speed would end up with a picture that looks like this

just white

the highest shutter speed that this photo could of been taken with is 5-10 seconds most likely 2-3 seconds. 

Sorry its been a long time since I did any Photography and I have been open to some toxins... Lots of burning rubber and overheating engines,.

Sorry its been a long time since I did any Photography and I have been open to some toxins... Lots of burning rubber and overheating engines,.

all good man, 

#KilledMyWife 

just white

Well how they get those ball effects in only 10 seconds

Oh wait I'm dumb

all good man, 

SO how would I get the shutter seed to something really long like 30+min

to make something like this:

20070314_gs_ext_timelapse_stacked_01.jpg

I'm going to have to disagree,

the shutter speed could have been WAYYYYYYY longer. 30 minutes would be too long for this picture(most likely), but a 5 minute exposure is easily done when:

Closing your aperture for the largest part,

Complete darkness then lighting it with a strobe,

when using ND filters. 30 minutes could be used for instance when taking a photo of the ocean and wanting the "silk" effect. 

DSC0370_Sm.jpg

As you can see in this picture the aperture was closed to around F/22.(you can tell by the starburst lights) The exposure wasn't super long in this one, as the water is still quite sharp. If a ND filter was added the exposure would have been able to be held for a longer time.

My guess with the OPs example, would be that it was shot with multiple 5/6 second exposures and they were layered.

its a photoshop effect, thats not really in camera its extremely bad for a dslr and you would need a low as **** iso even if its pitch black 

#KilledMyWife 

Check your manual, http://www.css.washington.edu/w/images/1/18/T2i_Manual.pdf

Go to page 83, M:Manual Exposure.

Read the piece on BULB exposures.

You have to set your camera to manual, then scroll until you see BULB (comes after 30'). I've answered your question twice before.

its a photoshop effect, thats not really in camera its extremely bad for a dslr and you would need a low as **** iso even if its pitch black 

So is there a way to get really slow shutter speed like maybe around 5min or should I not even bother?

You have to set your camera to manual, then scroll until you see BULB (comes after 30'). I've answered your question twice before.

Is that the only way cause BLUB requires you to hold it down.

Is that the only way cause BLUB requires you to hold it down.

Nope, you can use anywhere up to 30 second exposures. But then your star trails will only be 30 seconds long.  You'll need a tripod, or something steady anyways to do this.

So is there a way to get really slow shutter speed like maybe around 5min or should I not even bother?

your life, your camera in my opinion I wouldn't bother unless you have photoshop and know how to layer and if its your thing then take my comment as the ignorant hate speech that it is twords long exposure photography in relation to hurting camera's. And i'm gonna go play cowadoody

#KilledMyWife 

It can be achieved in phototshop, but it's NOT bad for your camera. Night Vision goggles can be burnt out by bright light, cameras pretty much can't. 

You don't need a low ISO though it is recommended for highest tonal range in camera though.

Not sure where you got the idea from it would damage a camera to get exposed to light for a long period. 

You can use a timer/ remote trigger. some models have long exposure triggers built in. 

Or you could use EOS Utility to control it if you want to do it from your window or garden. 

It's not a photoshop effect, in fact that image looks very unedited compared to other star trail shots I have seen. It may look slightly surreal because the building in the foreground is lit up, but doesn't look like there is any destructive editing on this image. You should have a go at them, you would get some nice ones up in the mountains in California.

As for damaging the sensor, that's a no too... Your shutter is fully open when you are taking video or in live view, perhaps slightly more likely that you will get dust on it, but that's about it.