Was this illegal?

SwankyBarbecue4

I'm not a lawyer, not sure if anyone who was would offer free legal advice on ltt forums.

Sounds like a victimless crime at worst. (If they're anal about it).

Terms of service are a contract, not a law, whether or not a contract can be enforced is up to the law.

It can be argued that the computer was there for your use, and you were using it, just that you were doing it remotely for practical reasons. Whether or not anything you've done can be considered bypassing security is always debatable (e.g. it can be argued that "no/open firewall means anyone is allowed to connect, if you connect and you're allowed to, you're not bypassing anything"). Intent also matters, was there malace.

Anyway, if I were the admin there, I probably wouldn't care, but might want to enlist the help of students like you to make my job easier and further your education. This is because from my experience, most people just don't know how to use computers (Facebook/email/following instructions doesn't count), and IMHO people who show some talent should be encouraged to learn more and do more.

12 hours ago, JAKEBAB said:

Yes. Prostitute him....

Op you must have a lot of faith in your school for leaving shit logged in lol. I would say what you did was fine until you installed a minecraft server... that was just stupid. Doubt anything will happen, i would think you would of had a call from the school by now if they knew or cared.

Weed does that to me.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

If they were monitoring traffic then they just saw a lot of bandwidth going to that computer so they shut it down to stop it. Unless someone remoted in and looked to see your account logged into dropbox/teamviewer, they can't see who's account it is from just network traffic because its all encrypted both ways.

If you had permission to use the computer in the first place and there is nothing in your school guidelines/rules that says 'when' you can use the computer then you are using it in a grey area. Not only that, but with DeepFreeze it really shouldn't matter unless you were installing a rootkit or overriding the electronic voltage monitor and setting a fire.

You live in 'Murica. Guess what, there wouldn't be a 'Murica if we didn't break the rules of the british and break off from them.

Peace brother.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

My entire life is references to TV shows and Memes.

Dell OptiPlex 755, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3GHz, 4GB DDR2, Windows XP Professional, Office 2003 Pro

On 5/26/2017 at 0:51 AM, SwankyBarbecue4 said:

After I got home around 9pm, I started messing around till about 10:30 when I began to see all of my open windows slowly close one by one, so I quickly logged off.

It's possible that the computer is on an automatic shutdown schedule and was working on shutting down, though I'd expect that to go a little faster.

At 10:30pm I highly doubt anyone would be at the school other than custodians.

Illegal? Not likely.
Could you still get in trouble for it? Possibly.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W