Sennheiser HD 5** all compared

ReThorb_

Hi,

Im looking for a new pair of headphones and I want to go Sennheiser, just don't know all the differences between the models in the HD 500 series.

So basically HD 558, HD 559, HD 598, HD 599 and HD 579 (568 and 569 are closed, I want open).

Who wins and which is best value?

the HD 558 is a good start. they go on sale fairly often, and it's already a steal when it does. 

the HD 598 i heard sounds a little better than 558s, but i would save the money and get a 558. 

3 hours ago, Technicolors said:

the HD 558 is a good start. they go on sale fairly often, and it's already a steal when it does. 

the HD 598 i heard sounds a little better than 558s, but i would save the money and get a 558. 

The 558s are warmer, the 598s have more treble and sound brighter overall. Hence the "sounds a little bit better". 

I think that most people should like the 558 more. 

I really like the 558s. They just sound great on most types of music. They're sufficiently detailed. They have a surprising amount of bass for open-back headphones. 

However, Sennheiser packaged a stupidly long wire with a 1/4 inch plug and a massive adapter so you can plug it into your PC/smartphone. Buying a replacement cable is a must. 

1 hour ago, kokakolia said:

The 558s are warmer, the 598s have more treble and sound brighter overall. Hence the "sounds a little bit better". 

I think that most people should like the 558 more. 

I really like the 558s. They just sound great on most types of music. They're sufficiently detailed. They have a surprising amount of bass for open-back headphones. 

However, Sennheiser packaged a stupidly long wire with a 1/4 inch plug and a massive adapter so you can plug it into your PC/smartphone. Buying a replacement cable is a must. 

i did this mod so my headphones can accept any 3.5mm cable 

Sorry to waste everyone's time! I got an HD 558 just now from dad for my birthday and I couldn't be happier, I listened to an HD 599 in a shop and I was really impressed but I don't think I can even hear the difference between that and this HD 558. Thanks anyways everyone!

29 minutes ago, ReThorb_ said:

Sorry to waste everyone's time! I got an HD 558 just now from dad for my birthday and I couldn't be happier, I listened to an HD 599 in a shop and I was really impressed but I don't think I can even hear the difference between that and this HD 558. Thanks anyways everyone!

Congratulations! You got yourself an awesome headphone.