My computer won't update! (Win7 64)

Sup folks,

I've been having this issue for quite awhile now, I still don't know how to fix it.

My PC says there are updates that need to be installed, which is true, but when it reboots to install said updates, it's stuck at "preparing Windows configuration", then abruptly shuts off and reboots normally, without installing any updates. The Windows update windows keeps popping up saying that I need to install important updates and that the pc will restart in 15 minutes (which for now I have resorted to opening cmd and stopping Windows Update manually by "net stop wuauserv")

Operating system:

Windows 7 Service Pack 1

64 bit

Hope someone knows how to fix this issue.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

TJ

Is a clean windows installation out of the question? It's possible something got corrupt along the lines.

Just now, NinJake said:

Is a clean windows installation out of the question? It's possible something got corrupt along the lines.

It certainly is an option that I don't want to rule out. I would like to search for any other solutions though, as a clean install is kind of inconvenient. Also building a new system soon so I might opt to deal with it for a couple months more and just make sure I keep my anti-virus up-to-date.

But thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep it in mind.

Otherwise, you can try this... it's what I HAVE to do to any new Win7 installations from scratch while rolling them out at work. (We are currently in the process of migrating everything to Win10 though).

1) Turn off Windows automatic update - set to "never check for updates"

2) Manually install KB3020369 (no reboot needed after this one)

3) Manually install KB3125574 (reboot after this one is necessary)

4) Manually install KB3172605 (reboot after this as well)

5) Turn Windows automatic update back on - and do a check for update.

Not sure if that will help you out, but worth a shot. You can download the KB articles directly from Microsoft.

1 minute ago, NinJake said:

Otherwise, you can try this... it's what I HAVE to do to any new Win7 installations from scratch while rolling them out at work. (We are currently in the process of migrating everything to Win10 though).

1) Turn off Windows automatic update - set to "never check for updates"

2) Manually install KB3020369 (no reboot needed after this one)

3) Manually install KB3125574 (reboot after this one is necessary)

4) Manually install KB3172605 (reboot after this as well)

5) Turn Windows automatic update back on - and do a check for update.

Not sure if that will help you out, but worth a shot. You can download the KB articles directly from Microsoft.

Thanks, will try for sure

I had this problem too, if you really want to keep Windows 7 you can go online find a Windows 7 iso tool, preferably from Microsoft and download and install the latest version to your computer run the tool and pit it on a usb, you can watch a YouTube video on how to do that, otherwise if you want Windows 10 do the same thing I just told you but replace Windows 7 with Windows 10.