REALLY LOUD! PART TWO

kioskhill45

2 days ago, I posted a topic about how there is a low buzzing/humming coming from my pc. I have already proved that the case fans, the hard drive, and the cpu cooler aren't the source of the sound, so the only option left is etiher the power supply or the graphics card. Is there any way to fix this?

Holy shit right as I typed this, the sound went away and my pc is silent af. still dont know why it buzzes occasionally, im just watching videos.

It might be coil whine. Usually comes from PSU's or GPU's. As far there is not really a way to get rid of it. I would suggest you read up about it, because I know people in the past were able to RMA their components because of it. But just keep in mind all PSU's and GPU's can have it.

Also, are there any specific scenarios where it shows up? I know most, if not all, GPU's coil whine when starting up a game and the game has no limiter on the fps in an opening cinematic (so if the fps goes to like 300 it might show up).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

PC specs?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

5 minutes ago, kioskhill45 said:

2 days ago, I posted a topic about how there is a low buzzing/humming coming from my pc. I have already proved that the case fans, the hard drive, and the cpu cooler aren't the source of the sound, so the only option left is etiher the power supply or the graphics card. Is there any way to fix this?

bootup with igpu only

then move the psu away and boot up with gpu

listen to the noises

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

PC specs?

I have a Ryzen 5 1500x on a MSI B350 Pc Mate, using 2 x 4 corsair vengeance lpx at 2400, a hand me down msi gtx 660 oc, 2 stock 120mm fans from the p400s tg case from phanteks, as well as 1 120mm pure wings 2 from bequiet. My cpu cooler is the be quiet pure rock. My psu is the corsair cx650m. My hdd is a 1 tb sshd fire cuda from seagate.

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

bootup with igpu only

then move the psu away and boot up with gpu

listen to the noises

I have no igpu, it's a ryzen cpu

3 minutes ago, Minibois said:

It might be coil whine. Usually comes from PSU's or GPU's. As far there is not really a way to get rid of it. I would suggest you read up about it, because I know people in the past were able to RMA their components because of it. But just keep in mind all PSU's and GPU's can have it.

Also, are there any specific scenarios where it shows up? I know most, if not all, GPU's coil whine when starting up a game and the game has no limiter on the fps in an opening cinematic (so if the fps goes to like 300 it might show up).

i'm just watching videos at the moment, and coil whine is supposed to be high pitched, when this is loud and low. It goes away after a while.

1 minute ago, kioskhill45 said:

I have no igpu, it's a ryzen cpu

Does it happen when the system is just powering on aswell? that way you can boot without a video signal just to see if the sound persists.

Main

CPU: i7 4790 Ram: HyperX Savage 24GB DDR3 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 960 MOBO: Asus B85 Pro Gamer SSDs: HyperX Fury 120gb, Corsair Force LX 128gb HDDs: Seagate SSHD 1tb + 1tb seagate HDD CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Pure Rock PSU: Corsair RM650x Case: Fractal Design Define C window Case fans: 2x Corsair AF140 Quiet Ed. 140mm intake, 1x Corsair AF120 Quiet Ed. 120mm exhaust

Peripherals

Monitors: 2x Asus VN247H Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headset: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Mousepad: Steelseries QcK, Corsair MM300 XXL Cables: Corsair Premium Pro Red Sleeved Lighting: Corsair Node Pro

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

CPU: Core i3 7100u Ram: 8gb DDR4 SSD: 256gb Sandisk X4 Pro Screen: 13.3" TN 

Asus E403SA

CPU: Pentium N3700 Quad Core Ram: 4gb DDR3 SSD: 128gb eMMC Screen: 14" 1080p TN

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

PSU Tier List Updated    Personal Steam Account   

1 minute ago, kioskhill45 said:

I have a Ryzen 5 1500x on a MSI B350 Pc Mate, using 2 x 4 corsair vengeance lpx at 2400, a hand me down msi gtx 660 oc, 2 stock 120mm fans from the p400s tg case from phanteks, as well as 1 120mm pure wings 2 from bequiet. My cpu cooler is the be quiet pure rock. My psu is the corsair cx650m. My hdd is a 1 tb sshd fire cuda from seagate.

When does it happen?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

When does it happen?

It seems it happens at random, whether I be playing a game, watching videos, or at idle.

Just now, pelark said:

Does it happen when the system is just powering on aswell? that way you can boot without a video signal just to see if the sound persists.

It appears at random, so I won't know for sure if it'll show up during then

Just now, kioskhill45 said:

It seems it happens at random, whether I be playing a game, watching videos, or at idle.

Probably the PSU then. AFAIK, GPUs can't have coil whine at idle

8 minutes ago, kioskhill45 said:

i'm just watching videos at the moment, and coil whine is supposed to be high pitched, when this is loud and low. It goes away after a while.

Ah. Well buzzing/humming could have been high pitched too! ;) 

But you can boot up without a GPU in the system, you just won't see any video on your display.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Probably the PSU then. AFAIK, GPUs can't have coil whine at idle

That sucks, if I do eventually change my psu, my mom will roast me and make me feel like a piece of shit because she doesn't necessarily like my hobby of building pcs and will yell at me even if it wasn't my fault the psu was defective or bad. It had good reviews...

Just now, kioskhill45 said:

That sucks, if I do eventually change my psu, my mom will roast me and make me feel like a piece of shit because she doesn't necessarily like my hobby of building pcs and will yell at me even if it wasn't my fault the psu was defective or bad. It had good reviews...

You can RMA your PSU, you don't have to buy a new one :D

Yeah, doesn't change the fact that my mother will shit on me for having to deal with my pc so much.

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Also, the gpu is old, so I will see if the buzzing persists once I upgrade.