Did I Just Damage My 1070? Artifacts After Reverting OC

Hey there, folks. So earlier today I decided to overclock my GTX 1070 Founders, and I've run into an issue. I got to +200 MHz on the core and +650 MHz on the memory (I never touched voltage, just the core, memory, and power sliders in Afterburner), but after testing this in Doom I noticed some black/yellow artifacts popping up. So I tabbed out, adjusted down several times, but yet the artifacts still remained.

So I decided to completely remove the overclock, but yet the artifacts are still popping up. Even after a DDU reinstall of the latest drivers, reinstalling Doom, or restarting the PC these artifacts are still popping up in Doom. Ultra settings, Vulkan API.

Got any ideas? I've got a cell phone video of the artifacts; I didn't want to record with another program in case it affected anything. Did I just damage my 1070?

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

I'm in doubt aswell about this. On one hand you didn't adjust voltage which is a good thing but how has the powerdraw and the temperatures been behaving in the OC compared to stock settings? They could've been stressing the card too much despite avoiding any increase in voltage although this is just speculation.

More importantly, do you also get artifacts in other games and/or benchmarks? If you would've damaged the GPU you certainly will get bugs, bsod's or crashes in any of those. It shouldn't stick to just one specific game.

5 minutes ago, Freezoide said:

I'm in doubt aswell about this. On one hand you didn't adjust voltage which is a good thing but how has the powerdraw and the temperatures been behaving in the OC compared to stock settings? They could've been stressing the card too much despite avoiding any increase in voltage although this is just speculation.

More importantly, do you also get artifacts in other games and/or benchmarks? If you would've damaged the GPU you certainly will get bugs, bsod's or crashes in any of those. It shouldn't stick to just one specific game.

Fans were near 100%, so the GPU temp in Afterburner didn't go higher than 67 C. Other games like Quake Champions and Overwatch seem to be behaving fine. Unigine Valley isn't artifacting or crashing.

Current Build:

Current Laptop:

Old PC:

Hmm I would check up one of the 3dmarks or unigine benchmarks to test it further in that case. Also maybe a different PCIE slot for your GPU to just make a difference.

1 minute ago, Freezoide said:

Hmm I would check up one of the 3dmarks or unigine benchmarks to test it further in that case. Also maybe a different PCIE slot for your GPU to just make a difference.

Right now I'm working on getting Doom reinstalled on my old rig. I'm gunna throw my 1070 into there to see if it artifacts similarly.

Current Build:

Current Laptop:

Old PC:

49 minutes ago, Freezoide said:

I have a slight update here. The artifacts only occur in Vulkan and not OpenGL.

Current Build:

Current Laptop:

Old PC:

Artifacting usually mean lack of voltage, not necessarily damage. I'd blame Memory. Dialing back your core won't probably change it. Dial back your VRAM. 

Vulkan uses resources differently so it could be a certain trancient load making them pop up. Reboot and try again at stock. Should not cause issues. 

47 minutes ago, faziten said:

Artifacting usually mean lack of voltage, not necessarily damage. I'd blame Memory. Dialing back your core won't probably change it. Dial back your VRAM. 

Vulkan uses resources differently so it could be a certain trancient load making them pop up. Reboot and try again at stock. Should not cause issues. 

3 hours ago, Freezoide said:

So before I even put my 1070 in my old computer, I ran Doom with the GTX 770 in there. Same settings as my Ryzen rig (ultra, Vulkan).

It's artifacting to all hell on that system, and it's using a fresh driver install and fresh install of Windows as it was recently cleaned up to give to my dad.

So this makes me believe my 1070 is actually fine. Is Vulkan just acting weird for some people right now? Two unrelated systems, one that's 100% fresh, are getting similar artifacting issues with Vulkan.

Current Build:

Current Laptop:

Old PC:

You can probably sleep tight, maybe it's a driver issue. I played whole DOOM Vulkan with a 970 and 1070 some mouths ago and not a single glitch. 

Remember that artifacts relate to lack of voltage, it could be related to damage but i seriously doubt in pascal you could actually cause any damage with NV hard limit on VCore... but! depending on your VRAM brand you could actually have problems overclocking that far. It's all in google, Micron VRAM did artifact with 1070's even with slight OC. It was patched later on with a BIOS refresh, but hell i lost track of that news. Better check that out. 

I'd seriously start searching on Reddit, if it's something that actually happens, then it's there for sure. 

5 minutes ago, faziten said:

You can probably sleep tight, maybe it's a driver issue. I played whole DOOM Vulkan with a 970 and 1070 some mouths ago and not a single glitch. 

Remember that artifacts relate to lack of voltage, it could be related to damage but i seriously doubt in pascal you could actually cause any damage with NV hard limit on VCore... but! depending on your VRAM brand you could actually have problems overclocking that far. It's all in google, Micron VRAM did artifact with 1070's even with slight OC. It was patched later on with a BIOS refresh, but hell i lost track of that news. Better check that out. 

I'd seriously start searching on Reddit, if it's something that actually happens, then it's there for sure. 

I'll probably let it go for a few months to see if a fix arises within new drivers. It's not like OpenGL performs that much worse with a system like this anyway, even with stock frequencies. I also tested Dota 2 with Vulkan to see if it's something to do with the API specifically and it ran fine, but then again the different games could implement it differently.

If the only game I'm having issues with is Doom (and similar issues are happening on different systems with the same settings), then at this point I highly doubt it's my card.

Current Build:

Current Laptop:

Old PC:

3 hours ago, faziten said:

Sorry for double posting again in this thread, but I've got confirmation now.

On my GTX 1060 laptop running 378.92, I tested Doom in Vulkan. No issues. I updated the laptop to the same version running on my 1070 and 770 rigs (382.05), and the artifacting now occurs on the laptop in Vulkan only. It's a driver issue.

My 1070 is alive!

Current Build:

Current Laptop:

Old PC:

• 7 months later...

old thread, but reading it i just couldn't stay silent and not respond. gotta love random internet people throwing some words like voltage, damage, blah blah.

im happy you solved your problem, im sad i didnt see it earlier to save you some headache and anxiety. just for future knowledge, there is nothing you can do in afterburner, NOTHING that will damage your card. your max voltage and power draw is set in the cards bios, you can crank AB all the way up, it doesnt matter, nothing that you do through this program will override the cards bios limits. hell, even if you modify the bios, almost all cards have a predetermined hard limit which is safe  (unless its an LN2 card). nvidia really watches over their products. yeah, so again, happy you found out its the driver, and be careful when listening to some dramatic statements with computer buzz words. im happy you didnt end up RMAing your card , saved you some headache...