Is a VPN same as Spoofing?

Ngrungebb91

Well.. I'm reading through my ISP's TOS and i'm going through to see if a VPN (Hotspot Shield) is illegal in their terms... I got to this term Spoofing, is that was a VPN does and will I get in trouble from my ISP if I use it?

Spoofing: Assuming the IP Address of another User or sourcing traffic from an IP address that was not assigned to you by ISP. Assuming the IP address of another User not only denies service to the rightful owner of that IP Address, but it is also considered a hostile act by ISP and subject to immediate and permanent termination of the offender's account.

Motherboard - ASUS P6X58D-E Processor - Intel i7 930 Bloomfield OC'd @ 4.01Ghz, 1.28v | RAM - 12GB Corsair Dominator @ 8-8-8-12, 1600mhz | Graphics Card - EVGA Geforce GTX660 SC 3GB @ +75mhz core, +500mhz mem | Power Supply - Seasonic X650 Gold

CPU Cooler, Fans - Corsair H-90 w/ Noctua FN14 push/pull, Gelid Wings UV Blue  | Case - Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2 |

With a VPN you direct your traffic through a server where it is encrypted and then ends up on your PC. Your IP becomes the server as that's where you are getting all of your encrypted data. So you aren't spoofing your IP but you aren't using your true IP.

As long as they don't know you use it, they cant deny your service. :P

I'm the Forum Owl

*Who*

No it is not the same things. You don't change your IP when you use a VPN, you simply route all your traffic to another location. When you spoof your IP, you change your own.

Think of it this way. Spoofing is like changing the numberplate on your car. A VPN would be like borrowing your neighbors car (with his permission).

Spoofing an IP is useless instead you are doing a DoS.

If for example you spoof an IP and send a server a packet the server sends the response to the spoofed IP and you get nothing back, you can do reflection stuff like that, but generally there is no benefit to spoofing an IP and its not the same as VPN even though it looks very similar.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

I use VPN to connect to our home network when I'm on my laptop somewhere else. That way I can access the shares on the server and use our local DNS server to access, for example,