DIY 3D Printer

Mister Mister

Has anyone had an experience here building their own 3D printer? Either from scratch or from a kit? I was looking at the Startt DIY kit but it does not have a heated bed and only accepts PLA plastics. Any other suggestions?

@RR3XBX Might be able to help you out.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

I just bought an Anet A8 from Gearbest. £132.94 on a flash sale. It's pretty good quality but it does take a lot of time to properly calibrate. But when you do, the quality of the prints that you get out are rather amazing. 

11 minutes ago, Mister Mister said:

Has anyone had an experience here building their own 3D printer? Either from scratch or from a kit? I was looking at the Startt DIY kit but it does not have a heated bed and only accepts PLA plastics. Any other suggestions?

I am going to get the Tevo Tarantula. With some custom parts(which can be printed on the printer), you can improve the quality. Here is a YouTube video I watched about it.

i like trains 🙂

1 minute ago, RR3XBX said:

I just bought an Anet A8 from Gearbest. £132.94 on a flash sale. It's pretty good quality but it does take a lot of time to properly calibrate. But when you do, the quality of the prints that you get out are rather amazing. 

I have seen reviews. Though not that more expensive, RC Life On rated the revolution better. You can watch a video on it. (Just look up, it is later in the video)

i like trains 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

I built a folger tech prusa i3 2020 and learned a lot throughout the process. I hit a few roadblocks due to mainly mistakes I made...but it ended up working well. I can definitely second the fact that you will spend a good amount of time calibrating to get your prints just right, but if you are up for a challenge and want to really get to know your printer its the way to go! You may even save a few bucks in the process. By the way, I built the enclosure for it so forgive my scrappy looking wood work!

P8VbYAnBK3Kos1BYa85Nva4906pW7o7lFXCsCqwjBVCFQqCWRiBy1RK365gBaaY5caTb14zoYvHk6PF_g1Go0VLcZ0HnAdeYZsbRnmW72CxcPtkfkc169-zS3zUYvCg_Bicu-6RWRbjPqWIap9usZ3NP3l-wQUJX0xpM65N0nUISJGr9qzKRKhAYlu5MxwmwDkWN_5B7K715Lu8SUkP0xPL61h_Ib2SGHTOkj-nIS6sSj-7on9rXAZqrGbinQmycz8R42GeE1UzlHx0s_GOFLHNLed4HwQLtOh6fpGc2WS_NAfLhkSjVdhRgUJlO10XWxlSrlJd0Mfu1zYOFnsS_0c3nAufcZi3TQA8bcdgslTaudG9ALgada0cARUJcczzW1EfA5KAbEFyXo2z9668shkcfEzdyFR8Pz7VXGiMta7zyxinlFOIYPgAxZEQrGtSN3o4VLNu68s1CWuMIh4qW6ouaOnbnDKCnPDyrs3Xt3Ep7dWjqAV-gZpkFWLy0s19vREphesRY_BWrgCCIEfpje46qLYRkgsqR87G42NP4jgldf8B2dLa6cUblyjpLRDN1bkNO-V26_u_C8aX9oyMGf0D9S6eiqI1DwUhyh-wYr9PrVy2kG6Fx=w497-h662-no

https://folgertech.com/collections/3d-printer-full-kits/products/folger-tech-reprap-2020-prusa-i3-full-aluminum-3d-printer-kit

We use the Tevo Tarantula in our workshop, we haven't even fully calibrated it yet and it prints great. The printer itself is great for the price, the company behind it could do better, language barrier and slow replies (If you are lucky to get one), but the FB group for this printer is great, not run by Tevo but their staff are in it.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

I have seen some great things about the Tarantula, and will definitely have to check it out!