Quick Mirrorless Question

So I know the shutter count on your standard DSLR matters because after so many thousands of actuations, the shutter can wear out and cause problems. Is this something you have to worry about on a mirrorless camera? Is there a shutter counter on something like an A7S? Thanks.

ASU

There is a shutter yes. As far as I know at least. The silent shooting modes on mirrorless usally don't use the shutter however but there is some problems with those that doesn't make them perfect yet. (The new Sony A9 id said to have fixed these). But imo you don't have to worry about shutter counts really, if you buy new most of the cameras are rated for a 150000+ acutations. When buying used you maybe could be a bit more careful but say if it has 50000 shots taken on it it maybe isn't the shutter that will wear out first but the other parts as the body, dials and so as it has been used a ton. 

And as I know its relativly easy to send away your camera to get the shutter replaced if it breaks. I can see this not being optimal but it is a solution if it breaks. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

So tldr, you don't have to worry about it on a mirrorless cameras. 

ASU

8 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

So tldr, you don't have to worry about it on a mirrorless cameras. 

If you're buying new, not as much.  If you're buying used, you need to check to make sure everything is in working order.  With mechanical parts (and even electronic parts) there is wear and tear over time.  Respect your gear and it will serve you well.  Don't let debris or dust fall into the shutter mechanism, those can potentially reduce the life of the shutter.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

4 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

If you're buying new, not as much.  If you're buying used, you need to check to make sure everything is in working order.  With mechanical parts (and even electronic parts) there is wear and tear over time.  Respect your gear and it will serve you well.  Don't let debris or dust fall into the shutter mechanism, those can potentially reduce the life of the shutter.

The only thing it was my understanding that mirrorless cameras didn't have shutters, they just controlled the exposure through software trickery. I'm getting that's not how they work xD

ASU

Just now, Hackentosher said:

The only thing it was my understanding that mirrorless cameras didn't have shutters, they just controlled the exposure through software trickery. I'm getting that's not how they work xD

Some mirrorless cameras have electronic shutters.  Not mechanical ones with moving pieces of kevlar material.  An electronic shutter basically "refreshes" the sensor.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

53 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Some mirrorless cameras have electronic shutters.  Not mechanical ones with moving pieces of kevlar material.  An electronic shutter basically "refreshes" the sensor.

So on something like a Sony A7S, there's nothing between the lens and the sensor. 

ASU

19 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

So on something like a Sony A7S, there's nothing between the lens and the sensor. 

Apart from the IR reduction/blocking and AA filters, there might not be an actual light blocking shutter leaf.  Though if you do a google search for Sony A7s shutter I see some photos that shows a camera like it with an actual shutter mechanism covering the sensor.