Computer Randomly Freezes

zxcvbnmmssdh

Hi, 

I'm working on my sister's computer right now. Specs are i7-4790k, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970, Corsair R750i, Crucial 480 GB BX200 SSD, Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo, Crucial Ballistix 8GBx2 DDR3 Ram, Seagate 2TB HDD, originally running Windows 10 pro 64 bit. Computer is a little over 2 years old, originally built in December of 2015. Starting last November, it would randomly freeze up, no mouse movement, no clock movement, completely frozen. We have gone through and updated all drivers and BIOS, as well as check all connection inside the PC. When attempting to get into the BIOS, it again will freeze. We went back to 8.1 84 bit and had no issues. However, my sister has some software she needs that she only has windows 10 keys for. Just looking for any possibilities for what could actually be wrong. Thanks!

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

Could it be overheating and causing a thermal shutdown?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

Could it be overheating and causing a thermal shutdown?

We checked temps when it freezes and they were normal

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

Just now, zxcvbnmmssdh said:

We checked temps when it freezes and they were normal

tried resetting the pc? 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

tried resetting the pc? 

We've completely wiped it once and reset BIOS. Still nothing

1 minute ago, zxcvbnmmssdh said:

We've completely wiped it once and reset BIOS. Still nothing

try a new SSD, that might fox it. 

7 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

try a new SSD, that might fox it. 

The only reason I think this won't work is that 8.1 worked perfectly fine, and 10 would freeze when installed on the SSD and also the HDD

12 minutes ago, zxcvbnmmssdh said:

The only reason I think this won't work is that 8.1 worked perfectly fine, and 10 would freeze when installed on the SSD and also the HDD

Is the boot also slow no matter what drive you use?

30 minutes ago, OsuMasterz said:

Is the boot also slow no matter what drive you use?

Boot speed is faster with the SSD on both Windows 10 and 8.1, right now we think that the motherboard is at fault