Motherboard Inquiry

Go to solution Solved by DocSwag,
10 hours ago, ventus0907 said:

@DocSwag

oic, so PC Mate should be good? it's cheaper than the tomahawk anyway. I just thought it was that specific board that has issue with RAM OC, did not know it was a general issue with Ryzen.

He bought the RAM because it has LED, nothing else LOL

Yup shouldn't be an issue.

Ok then lol, guessing he won't want to exchange it then :P 

So I was helping a friend build his 1st rig.

He kinda went rouge and overboard on some parts without checking on me. LOL it's his money but wanted to make sure it works

He bought this

Corsair - Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory 

and bought this MB

MSI B350 PC MATE

I recommended this

ASRock AB350M Pro4

or

MSI B350 TOMAHAWK

I've read that with Ryzen build because we got him 1700 for the CPU, the PC Mate board is having a hard time over clocking the RAM past 2666Mhz?

I just feel like his RAM has so much potential but won't be able to use it properly because of the MB

would any of the other 2 boards I recommended be better?

Thanks!!

Just now, Stevoisboss said:

He already bought it? It should be perfectly fine. I don't think the hassle of return would be worth it. 

@Stevoisboss  yeah just today, on our local memory express store here, so not a hassle if we we're to replace it with the tomahawk but asrock needs to be purchased online. so would the tomahawk be better than the PC Mate?

He actually chose one of the best mobos in the price range, Pro4 is worse :P 

RAM can't do much about, Ryzen just doesn't work too well with higher frequency ram, though he did overpay for it. If he wants he could return it and get some 3000 or 3200 MHz cl14 ram (guaranteed to have b die, which overclocks better on Ryzen).

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, ventus0907 said:

@Stevoisboss  yeah just today, on our local memory express store here, so not a hassle if we we're to replace it with the tomahawk but asrock needs to be purchased online. so would the tomahawk be better than the PC Mate?

Not really afaik, the vram designs are the same so overclockability shouldn't be impacted, the ram itself should make more of a difference.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

He actually chose one of the best mobos in the price range, Pro4 is worse :P 

RAM can't do much about, Ryzen just doesn't work too well with higher frequency ram, though he did overpay for it. If he wants he could return it and get some 3000 or 3200 MHz cl14 ram (guaranteed to have b die, which overclocks better on Ryzen).

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Not really afaik, the vram designs are the same so overclockability shouldn't be impacted, the ram itself should make more of a difference.

@DocSwag

oic, so PC Mate should be good? it's cheaper than the tomahawk anyway. I just thought it was that specific board that has issue with RAM OC, did not know it was a general issue with Ryzen.

Welcome to the club I suppose. I can't get my RAM passed 2666MHz either. The MSI PC MATE is a good motherboard, kind of a shame. It's still a gamble with any other board though, might not be worth the time. If you stick with the motherboard, hopefully future BIOS updates will fix it.

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x | COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 | MOBO: ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio | STORAGE: 2x XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB, Crucial MX300 525gb, Seagate Barracuda Pro 4TB | CASE: Phanteks P400s TG White | PSU: Corsair HX750i

Laptop - Dell XPS 13 | Intel i7 7500u | Intel HD 620 Graphics | 8GB RAM | 256GB M.2 SSD

Peripherals - KEYBOARD: KBD67 Lite w/Gateron Milky Yellow Pros | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder V2 | AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 6XX, Truthear Hexa | MONITOR: Dual 1440p 27" MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD

10 hours ago, ventus0907 said:

@DocSwag

Yup shouldn't be an issue.

Ok then lol, guessing he won't want to exchange it then :P 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler