Random Screen Flickering/Black screen

James Roche UK

Hi,

I have a 1080TI FE and an ASUS ROG Swift Ultrawide monitor, while gaming I get fairly regular black screen for a second or so and then everything is fine again. I am connected over Display Port  at 100HZ, latest drivers and GSYNC on with Windows 10 updated to latest version. Anyone able to help diagnose/resolve? I have never had anything like this before.

Have you uninstalled and reinstalled drivers?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Actually no but I have had the issue persist across the last few updates each time hoping it would resolve. Should also mention it happens in most games I play. (DOW III, DOOM, BLOCK OPS etc).

With teh driver installation should I do that via device manager our is there an Nvidia control panel way?

2 minutes ago, James Roche UK said:

Actually no but I have had the issue persist across the last few updates each time hoping it would resolve. Should also mention it happens in most games I play. (DOW III, DOOM, BLOCK OPS etc).

With teh driver installation should I do that via device manager our is there an Nvidia control panel way?

Use DDU (Google it) and uninstall the driver. From there install the latest driver from the Nvidia website. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Ok cool will look into that now. Have you had this kind of issue before? Trying to gauge how hopeful I should be of this resolving it :P

Just now, James Roche UK said:

Ok cool will look into that now. Have you had this kind of issue before? Trying to gauge how hopeful I should be of this resolving it :P

I've never experienced it, but then again the newest card I have is a 9500 Gt from AGES ago, so.... But I do know that this has helped people in the past. Drivers get messed up sometimes. 

Just completed the process, and downloading the drivers again. It could have potentially been my old drivers as I swapped out a 980ti for the 1080ti at launch. This app has an option for a clean install of a new card.

Just now, James Roche UK said:

Just completed the process, and downloading the drivers again. It could have potentially been my old drivers as I swapped out a 980ti for the 1080ti at launch. This app has an option for a clean install of a new card.

OK. I hope it goes well for you. 

Does it happen if you run the monitor at 60 hz? If it does you might want to try a DP cable rated for 18 Gbps bandwidth.

I had the same problem on my dog ultrawide as well as 4 different rog swifts. Getting good cables solves the issue. Don't ask me why Asus ships them with sub par cables...

I think that will be my next move if this doesn't work. The cables I have were not the most expensive :)

1 hour ago, James Roche UK said:

I think that will be my next move if this doesn't work. The cables I have were not the most expensive :)

Cost is irrelevant. I tried some pretty expensive ones with extra shielding etc. that did not have high enough bandwidth. Then got some with the highest rated bandwidth for DP 1.2 that were cheaper and the got rid of the problem 

Any brand to go for? Loads of the amazon ones do not list throughput

Still getting flashes :O, I am going to see if I can find your cable in the uk :)

4 hours ago, James Roche UK said:

Still getting flashes :O, I am going to see if I can find your cable in the uk :)

As it was already said, buy a new cable. I had something similar when I was using HDMI back in the day. The cheapo cable that I had would lose connection for a split second and then come back again, causing the black screen. Lenovo has some DP cables on Amazon that are about 20 bucks and are decent quality. Might want to look into them. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

• 3 weeks later...

Those all look like new games to me (except Black ops) does this look like the issue?

Different cable sorted it for me! Was actually the same brand i already had just a different(longer) length so i imagine the old onewas just poor quality or damaged.