Team Fortress 2 Stuttering on New Rig; Is it Normal?

Got a new rig recently. Mostly to be able to run tf2, but also to play some more modern titles. I get some occasional stutters in Team Fortress 2 and not sure why; at this point it seems to be the fact that the game's optimization is trash. But I want to know if there is a way to fix it. I have Nvidia Fast Sync enabled, so that I don't get input lag nor screen tearing, but I do get stutters.My PC specs are as follows.

CPU: i5-7600k
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock B250M-HDV
MEMORY: G.Skill Aegis 8gb (1x8gb) DDR4 2400
STORAGE: Western DIgital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200RPM Hard Drive
Graphics Card: Zotac Geforce GTX 1060 AMP! 6gb
PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified
CASE: DIYPC F2 O

I have uploaded an example video of the stuttering. Some stutters are more noticeable than others, but regardless I would prefer to have no stutters if possible. Here is the video:

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Try playing without Nvidia Fastsync and see if that resolves the issue. (Also y the i5-7600k and B250 motherboared .-. but that's off topic i'm sorry)

5 hours ago, MrAwesomepants said:

Try playing without Nvidia Fastsync and see if that resolves the issue. (Also y the i5-7600k and B250 motherboared .-. but that's off topic i'm sorry)

If I play w/o nvidia fast sync I get screen tearing, and if I play with vsync I get input lag. With Nvidia Fast sync, I get minimal stutters, but they're still there.

Also, about the unlocked cpu and locked motherboard...

I was on a budget, and got a budget motherboard, but I plan on eventually getting an Asus Rog Strix z270G Gaming motherboard.

2 hours ago, Weedingtechniques said:

screen tearing

If you lock your max fps to 60fps if your screens refresh rate is 60hz it should help a lot with screen tearing i believe

1 hour ago, MrAwesomepants said:

If you lock your max fps to 60fps if your screens refresh rate is 60hz it should help a lot with screen tearing i believe

Should I try that with Nvidia Fast sync on? I've tried that in an autoexec.cfg file without nvidia fast sync, but I haven't tried capping the fps while having fast sync enabled.

44 minutes ago, Weedingtechniques said:

Should I try that with Nvidia Fast sync on? I've tried that in an autoexec.cfg file without nvidia fast sync, but I haven't tried capping the fps while having fast sync enabled.

When in doubt, both. See what's best, however i believe Nvidia Fast sync will be useless if you cap the fps at 60 fps.

1 minute ago, MrAwesomepants said:

When in doubt, both. See what's best, however i believe Nvidia Fast sync will be useless if you cap the fps at 60 fps.

I'll experiment later today and report if anything happens.

Okay, so I was toying around with my settings (with Nvidia Fast Sync enabled), and I realized that vsync in my Team Fortress 2 advanced video options was disabled. I tried enabling it, and as far as I can tell it fixed the problem; though I've only tested in bot matches because right now my internet isn't cooperating with me. I've just recorded some gameplay of the bot match, and I am about to review it myself, and see if I notice any stutters. Later I will test out in an online match, and will announce the findings.

Nope... problem not fixed... still stuttering. This seems hopeless... I'll keep toying with it, but any suggestions are welcome...

It seems that no matter what I do I either get screen tearing or stutter lag, and also my fps has began to drop below 60, which I'm pretty sure (but not positive) it never did. If it seems like I fixed it, one of the problems I've been having just creeps back up on me. (Either screen tearing, stutter lag, or fps drops below 60.) :(

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 0:49 PM, Weedingtechniques said:

Got a new rig recently. Mostly to be able to run tf2, but also to play some more modern titles. I get some occasional stutters in Team Fortress 2 and not sure why; at this point it seems to be the fact that the game's optimization is trash. But I want to know if there is a way to fix it. I have Nvidia Fast Sync enabled, so that I don't get input lag nor screen tearing, but I do get stutters.My PC specs are as follows.

CPU: i5-7600k
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock B250M-HDV
MEMORY: G.Skill Aegis 8gb (1x8gb) DDR4 2400
STORAGE: Western DIgital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200RPM Hard Drive
Graphics Card: Zotac Geforce GTX 1060 AMP! 6gb
PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified
CASE: DIYPC F2 O

I have uploaded an example video of the stuttering. Some stutters are more noticeable than others, but regardless I would prefer to have no stutters if possible. Here is the video:

Any help is greatly appreciated.

did you by any chance enable the game mode in windows 10 for tf2? I did the same and i used to get like 15-16 fps with game mode on and 60-70 fps without game mode on 1050 ti

• 3 years later...

This is an old thread but I'll chime in to say this:

You might need a new CPU, considering Source games run mostly on CPU because graphics cards weren't the best in the really early 2000's