Cisco Switch Routing

Mornincupofhate

So Cisco claims their switches can switch packets at line rate. If I buy a Cisco switch and use it as a router, will it be able to route packets at line rate?

I don't know much about this kind of equipment, but to me "switch" does not mean "router".

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

8 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I don't know much about this kind of equipment, but to me "switch" does not mean "router".

I've read some stuff and apparently you can make it act as a router.

Some switches do have the capability to set up routing tables (I've been told this here as well), but they are probably not that efficient as compared to actual routers.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

What switch model?

The problem with turning a switch into a router is you tend to lose a lot of functionality for egressing the switch and going to the internet or see performance drastically reduced. Features such as NAT tend to not exist on switches, and a lot of traffic inspection and rules can slow things down a tad (depends a lot on the size of the rules and what's being inspected)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Any layer 3 switch can run as a router to connect multiple subnets using routing tables. This can normally be done at line speed.

However what you are actually asking i think is can you use one as a internet router. The answer to that is no. To do that you need basic firewall and NAT functionality.

There are plenty of routers that can do gigbit routing, the trick is ones that can do NAT and full statefull firewall at gigbit.

The only kind of routing for a layer 3 switch Cisco teaches has to do with Inter-VLAN routing. I would not set it up as your networks edge router

EDIT: Also like NZLaurence mentioned I dont think they support NAT which is a pretty big deal

The ability to turn a switch into a router is only for the true, core definition of a router: A device that can route L3 packets based on destination address. L3 switches normally only support static routes, OSPF, RIP, and possibly EIGRP - they wouldn't support BGP, and they normally don't do much more of the functions of a "router". I've seen some that include a DHCP server (not just a DHCP proxy), but I've never seen a L3 switch that could do NAT or firewall.

As to the speed at which a L3 switch can handle routing data, that depends on whether the routing is done in hardware (like switching) or software, and the speed of the CPU if done in software. Thus it can vary greatly and use would have to request data from a sales engineer if it isn't available in the spec sheet.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

On 5/7/2017 at 5:25 PM, brwainer said:

The ability to turn a switch into a router is only for the true, core definition of a router: A device that can route L3 packets based on destination address. L3 switches normally only support static routes, OSPF, RIP, and possibly EIGRP - they wouldn't support BGP, and they normally don't do much more of the functions of a "router". I've seen some that include a DHCP server (not just a DHCP proxy), but I've never seen a L3 switch that could do NAT or firewall.

As to the speed at which a L3 switch can handle routing data, that depends on whether the routing is done in hardware (like switching) or software, and the speed of the CPU if done in software. Thus it can vary greatly and use would have to request data from a sales engineer if it isn't available in the spec sheet.

If you take my Cisco Catalyst 3750, it will only support EIGRP, RIP, or static routes, no OSPF or BGP.

7 hours ago, droidrzrlover said:

If you take my Cisco Catalyst 3750, it will only support EIGRP, RIP, or static routes, no OSPF or BGP.

Depends on the image, IPBase doesn't support it but IPServices does/should.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On 5/7/2017 at 4:49 PM, Mornincupofhate said:

I've read some stuff and apparently you can make it act as a router.

It's called a Multi-Layer switch.
It works at level 3 of the OSI model.

On 5/9/2017 at 5:15 AM, Lurick said:

Depends on the image, IPBase doesn't support it but IPServices does/should.

True, I am only on IPBase