DIY PC

Definitely not. You'll want 3GB+.

is an gigabyte 980 4 gb overkill?

Extremely good post :D

Gamer & PC Enthusiast

Gaming Community's TeamSpeak: ts.the-eux.uk

If I've helped you out, Click that "like" button to show me some love :)

Hi o/

I am plannin to build a new desktop for gamin

Here the base so far

Rampage V Extreme - Asus

Dual GTX 780 Strix 6 GB

Dual 32 GB DDR4 (Not sure which one to get yet)

Can you guys gives me any help with which Processor i should get and other stuff?

Im Going to build my first pc soon. My Budget is $2000. After a lot of research, i came up with these. Any Suggestions?

Cpu: Intel i5 4690K

Cpu Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver 5

Mobo: Msi z97 Gaming 7

RAM: Adata XPG V1.0 8gb (2x4gb) DDR3 1866

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM

GPU: MSI Geforce Gtx 980 Twin Frozr V Gaming 4G

Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 Black Windowed

PSU: EVGA 850w SuperNova 850 G2 (850w so I can add lots more components in future)

Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer

Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24"

Extra Fans: 3x NZXT FN-140RB White 140mm

Keyboard/Mouse: Cooler Master CM Storm Devestator Gaming Bundle (Blue)

Headset: Turtle Beach z11

In Future, I Hope to add another Graphics card or two, upgrade my RAM and my storage, and get a Broadwell CPU in a year or so.

Digital Storm Vanquish II Level 4: CPU-i5 4690K 3.5 GHz, Motherboard- Asus Z97-P, Graphics Card- Gtx 970, RAM- DDR3 1600 MHz, PSU- Corsair CX600 600w, Case- Corsair Graphite Series 230T, SSD-120 GB Samsung 840 EVO, HDD-1TB Seagate Barracuda, OS- Windows 8.1.

Peripherals: Monitor-Asus VG248QE 144hz 1ms 1080p, Headset- HyperX Gaming Cloud, Mouse/Keyboard- CM Storm Devastator Bundle.

hey can some one tell me how to flash a bios for the asus rog maximus ranger?

Hi. I have been thinking about building my own desktop. I've always wanted to do so but I didn't have the know how and the money to spend on it. Right now I have the following:

Budget - $1000 (that's around 45,000 pesos here) I can go a bit higher but if I can get what I need for a lower price then that would be great.

Location - I live in the Philippines so looking for parts might be a bit difficult.

Aim - My main purpose is to be able to play heavy games on it and even some photo, video editing. Nothing hardcore when it comes to editing.

Monitors - I plan to only use one monitor. Upgrading to more than one has a low probability of happening. I don't know but maybe using our flat screen TV can also be a possibility?

Peripherals - We currently have a mouse and keyboard that came with our preassembled desktop computer from around 7 years ago. If I need to cut down on my expenses on this aspect, that would be fine for me since I can always upgrade to better ones when I have a budget for better gear. For the OS I will most probably go with either a Windows 7 Home Premium.

Why am I upgrading? - We've had our current PC for around 7 years now and it's slow as hell and will not even be able to play some of the games we'd like to play. It has never been upgraded in anyway. I also wanted to do a build instead of getting a preassembled one because I can get more from my money and allot more of the budget on aspects of the PC that we find that we need/want more. I don't mind going overboard on some of the parts so that I don't have to always upgrade especially if the difference in the price is negligible.

I don't know a lot about building computers from scratch so I just put together some parts I was able to learn about a bit online.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK2 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: AMD Radeon R9 Gamer Series 8GB DDR3-2133 
Storage: Seagate  1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive  
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card  
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: Corsair Gaming 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

Sorry for all the talk. Hope you can help me on this one. :)

• 2 weeks later...

NEEEDDDD HELLLLPPPPP

I have a pc with 16gb ram and 4690k but i just can't seem to decide on a graphics card and its really delaying the completion of my build. My budget is 250 dollars and i might be able to squeeze 300. I was thinking of either a 760 or 960 or a r9 280. I know r9 285 is out but i will be keeping this card for a while so the extra gb will do me well for future games.

Thanks for the help

NEEEDDDD HELLLLPPPPP

I have a pc with 16gb ram and 4690k but i just can't seem to decide on a graphics card and its really delaying the completion of my build. My budget is 250 dollars and i might be able to squeeze 300. I was thinking of either a 760 or 960 or a r9 280. I know r9 285 is out but i will be keeping this card for a while so the extra gb will do me well for future games.

Thanks for the help

I think you should go with r9 280x.970 is good too.

I think you should go with r9 280x.970 is good too.

Yeh but 970 is way out of my budget as its 530dollars here in australia so do u think i should wait a 960 or just get a r9 280. Do you know when gtx 960 will be released and just to let you know its the non x r9 280 that I'm comparing it to.

Yeh but 970 is way out of my budget as its 530dollars here in australia so do u think i should wait a 960 or just get a r9 280. Do you know when gtx 960 will be released and just to let you know its the non x r9 280 that I'm comparing it to.

I don't know about the release date. I think you should get r9 280 then. Ask someone else here.

NEEEDDDD HELLLLPPPPP

Thanks for the help

r9 280 is the way to go ,or at least this is what i would buy 

Ive rechecked my options and this is the last time i will ask this. My options are

Msi gtx 760 2gb ($279)

Msi/gigabyte r9 280 3gb ($249)

Msi r9 280x 3gb ($329)

Xfx r9 285 2gb ($279)

These are australian prices and the $329 is already a big stretch of my budget. I have a high enough wattage for each of the cards. Please note i will be keeping the cards for a while so the extra gb may come into handy for future games.

An

Ive rechecked my options and this is the last time i will ask this. My options are

Msi gtx 760 2gb ($279)

Msi/gigabyte r9 280 3gb ($249)

Msi r9 280x 3gb ($329)

Xfx r9 285 2gb ($279)

These are australian prices and the $329 is already a big stretch of my budget. I have a high enough wattage for each of the cards. Please note i will be keeping the cards for a while so the extra gb may come into handy for future games.

An

I would choose 280x in this case. It nearly performs like 290.

hey so I have a maximus ranger vii and two gtx 780 in two way sli should I have the second card one pci slot apart? to improve temps? and does any one use rain metter to monitor cpu temps and clock speeds and gpu temps

PLEASE HELP URGENT PLEASE. i bought an r9 280x today from gumtree (australias version of craigslist) and i installed it and now when i turn my pc on it takes to me something that says windows resume loader. I clicked continue with system resume and nothing happened. Then i realised my mouse wasnt on so i tried every other usb port and still no response. I then plugged in a seperate wireless usb mouse and keyboarf combo and they didnt work. Then i realised my keyboard stopped working. The lit up logo is on but there is no response at all. If my dad finds out he will never trust mr again and i will have no gaming pc. Please hellllpppp

Just a note im using a antec hcg gamer 620w

PLEASE HELP URGENT PLEASE. i bought an r9 280x today from gumtree (australias version of craigslist) and i installed it and now when i turn my pc on it takes to me something that says windows resume loader. I clicked continue with system resume and nothing happened. Then i realised my mouse wasnt on so i tried every other usb port and still no response. I then plugged in a seperate wireless usb mouse and keyboarf combo and they didnt work. Then i realised my keyboard stopped working. The lit up logo is on but there is no response at all. If my dad finds out he will never trust mr again and i will have no gaming pc. Please hellllpppp

Just a note im using a antec hcg gamer 620w

Does the issue persist when you run on integrated graphics? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Does the issue persist when you run on integrated graphics?

When i try to plug my hdmi cable in my board it wont even show up on the screen

When i try to plug my hdmi cable in my board it wont even show up on the screen

have you disconnected the dedicated gpu? Is everything else still wired correctly? And does nothing change on the screen--does it stay a solid black, or is there some indication that it had (and maybe lost) a connection, or an instantaneous loading of something....

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

have you disconnected the dedicated gpu? Is everything else still wired correctly? And does nothing change on the screen--does it stay a solid black, or is there some indication that it had (and maybe lost) a connection, or an instantaneous loading of something....

My power supply is modular so I plugged one of the 2 pcie in a connector which was not directly under the other and it works now. This is weird because its only a single rail power supply so the possibility of too much load on a rail is eliminated. Thanks for the help anyways.

Ughh. I thought the problems ended but it just got worse. The graphics card is recognised and works but ever since installation everything has become EXTREMELY SLOW. Bootup times have decreased and trying to load up anythung is impossible. Games take about 5mins just to get to the main menu and then when u try to play it just freezes on the loading page. Im typing this while sitting and watchinh my pc stuck trying to load a online map in COD BO2. It just says awauti g textures and this is the same with any other app or game. When i try to open chrome i have to keep it as a small window as if i make it desktop size the whole screen flashes then disapears and i have to turn my pc off manually. The windows button doesnt get me out of any of these applocation problems. Pleasssseeee helppp