Battlefield Games Stutters/Low GPU Usage/Low FPS on High-End Rig

arealsnek

Hello ! So.. I am running a GTX 1070 ( Asus Dual - Not overclocked ) paired with an I7 4790 ( non-k ), ASUS H81M-K motherboard, 8GB Ram ( single channel - 1600mhz ), 1TB Seagate HDD and a Seasonic S12II 620W Power Supply.

I was running a 750TI with the same other specs, but on a 1280x1024 monitor.Everything was running nicely, no stutters or low fps.Since i upgraded to my 1070 I've noticed that every battlefield game that I have tested is running poorly.

Battlefield 1 - Low fps/60% average GPU Usage ( higher usage when looking at the sky/ground and lower usage with action going on the screen - I would only get 99%/close to 99% usage if i scaled my game at higher resolutions with the ingame menu ). I didn't experience too many stutters but they were there.

Battlefield 4 - The FPS didn't seem bad at first, but as soon as there's an explosion on my screen or someone is shooting at me I would get stutters and my frames/GPU usage would go down.

Battlefeld 3 - I expected at least this one to run smoothly, being an older game and such.However I would get like 90 FPS when looking at the centre of the map ( Operation Firestorm ). I wouldn't normally mind 90 FPS but, out of all 3 games, Battlefield 3 seems to run the worst.The game stutters at any glimpse of action or even when not doing anything.And I should definitely get better performance in Battlefield 3 with my system.

I'm using MSI Afterburner to monitor GPU/CPU/Ram/Pagefile Usage. I noticed that my ram usage ( on battlefield 3 ) isn't higher than 4-5 gigs but my pagefile usage is at ~7 gigs of usage.

I tested Rainbow Six Siege/Overwatch/For Honor and they all run smoothly, with expected frames and 99% GPU Usage ( exception would be overwatch when the game doesn't need all that power but the performance was GOOD ).

I'm thinking that the stutters ( on battlefield 3 at least ) occur because of the high pagefile usage and low ram usage.I have 8gigs of ram available and it's using the pagefile instead.

Any solutions/tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks !

8GB of RAM really isn't enough for Battlefield. It's using the pagefile so much because there isn't enough RAM to store everything in memory. I can consistently use greater than 8GB of RAM when playing modern games as well as Battlefield.

The resolution also doesn't help much since it doesn't put mas much strain on the GPU which can cause boost clock issues and the FPS becomes proportionally more dependent on the CPU performance (shouldn't matter too much since you have an i7 but it is an effect of lower resolutions).

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Well I was running it fine with my 750 TI.I'm running a 1080p monitor now btw.

Anything i could do to fix the problem temporarily without upgrading the ram?

Just now, arealsnek said:

idk turn down the settings maybe

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

@DeadEyePsycho I trieeeeed, but the stutters are the same.It's literally unplayable. My friend is playing on a laptop with 4 gigs of ram and r7 250 GPU and he says his game is running nicely...

3 minutes ago, arealsnek said:

@DeadEyePsycho I trieeeeed, but the stutters are the same.It's literally unplayable. My friend is playing on a laptop with 4 gigs of ram and r7 250 GPU and he says his game is running nicely...

Heh, I wonder what his definition of nice is.

@DeadEyePsycho Well he isn't getting any stutters. I don't know if he has 90 or 50 fps but he isn't getting stutters.

Well I can confidently say that 8gb of ram is fine for any Battlefield game, because that's what I have. Paired with the same 1070 as you and a 4790k. And my framerates are very nice, even in Battlefield 1, at around 100fps at all times at 2560x1080p. So maybe you can try a repair of the game in Origin, or perhaps a complete reinstall of the game.

@mr195 Are you running single channel or dual channel ram sticks? I've heard that it makes a big difference in battlefield games because of bandwith stuff.

I am running a single stick, and people on other forums have experienced huge performance boosts going from single to dual channel.

BTW : My ram stick is a HyperX Fury Blue 1600Mhz 8GB.

also are your drivers up to date ? running dx 11 or 12 ?

ps: id also like to know if there is some ingame benchmark for BF1 or what app someone would recommend to measure in game performance  ?

Have you tried going to Origin settings and disable In-Game Origin. That helped me at least

On 5/7/2017 at 4:12 AM, arealsnek said:

I'm thinking that the stutters ( on battlefield 3 at least ) occur because of the high pagefile usage and low ram usage.I have 8gigs of ram available and it's using the pagefile instead.

I'm pretty sure this is normal behavior for Windows. The page file is usually in use, even when you have plenty of RAM available. It is likely filled with background processes, not crucial files related to the game. BF3 taking 3–4 GB of system RAM sounds about right for a game of its age. As a 32-bit application, I don't think it even could use more.

Since the performance issues coincide with a video card upgrade, it could be an issue with your drivers. Try a complete uninstall of your graphics drivers, maybe using DDU, followed by a clean install from the Geforce website. If it were my PC, I'd probably just wipe it and clean install Windows if nothing else worked. But I know not everyone is as trigger-happy as I am with Windows reinstalls.