PCI 8x to PCIe 16x to PCIe 1x to network card... help

Go to solution Solved by W-L,
7 minutes ago, lucien303 said:

Hello 

I have a Frankenstein LAN PC build that I have integrated into a briefcase and it runs well surprisingly that it cost me $80 for components. Anyway, my problem is that I am running a Lenovo SFF 7303 Motherboard it's horrible but I got it for $5 can't complain. On the board, there is a PCIe 16x that I currently have a graphics card connected to by an extension cable so it fits in the case, the only problem with that is it blocks my only other port the PCI 8X (Not Express). I need this port for a network card I have tried USB dongles and they are rubbish so I need a full-size network card. The only way I can fit one is by extension cables to loop around the graphics card. I have an old network card TP-Link thing its ok that runs of PCIe 1x so I have two questions regarding. One can I run a PCIe 1x straight from a PCI 8x if not can I do it the long way by getting a PCIe 8x to PCIe 16x converter flip it so it fits in the PCI 8x slot and then run a PCIe 1x out of it. I trust the last one might be ambitious. I will appreciate any help given or ideas to how else I can get Wi-Fi to a briefcase maybe by USB somehow?

Cheers Lucien 

If it's a PCI slot on the board and the PCI-E wifi card they don't work together, you will need to get a PCI card to work in that port. There are adapters for such uses but I wouldn't say they are worth the cost.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158190

Hello 

I have a Frankenstein LAN PC build that I have integrated into a briefcase and it runs well surprisingly that it cost me $80 for components. Anyway, my problem is that I am running a Lenovo SFF 7303 Motherboard it's horrible but I got it for $5 can't complain. On the board, there is a PCIe 16x that I currently have a graphics card connected to by an extension cable so it fits in the case, the only problem with that is it blocks my only other port the PCI 8X (Not Express). I need this port for a network card I have tried USB dongles and they are rubbish so I need a full-size network card. The only way I can fit one is by extension cables to loop around the graphics card. I have an old network card TP-Link thing its ok that runs of PCIe 1x so I have two questions regarding. One can I run a PCIe 1x straight from a PCI 8x if not can I do it the long way by getting a PCIe 8x to PCIe 16x converter flip it so it fits in the PCI 8x slot and then run a PCIe 1x out of it. I trust the last one might be ambitious. I will appreciate any help given or ideas to how else I can get Wi-Fi to a briefcase maybe by USB somehow?

Cheers Lucien 

7 minutes ago, lucien303 said:

Hello 

Cheers Lucien 

If it's a PCI slot on the board and the PCI-E wifi card they don't work together, you will need to get a PCI card to work in that port. There are adapters for such uses but I wouldn't say they are worth the cost.

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

Cheers Yeah I will have to think about it I just needed to know if they were compatible thank you, It looks like I will have to go with a USB solution. Cheers