Windows 10 Anniversary vs Creators Update

Yeah so I haven't been following Windows news in about a year.

On my personal machine, I've been using Linux and for gaming I've been using my Xbox. bite me.

I was about to reinstall Windows 10 on my PC again - I have spare drives just sitting there and I want to play CS GO.

What's this 'Creators Update'? Also what is 'Anniversary Update'? I will refer to these as CU and AU, respectively.

I recall headlines last year about AU but I pretty much ignored them. From my 1 year's of catching up-to-do, I gather Microsoft have apparently dropped support for 'Original' Windows 10. What's that all about? I assume Windows still gets security updates though?

I recall Microsoft did change their product model but at no point did I think or read that they'll be releasing a new version of Windows every year. Why not just push out these as updates through Windows update instead of asking you to completely reinstall?

You don't need to re-install windows. The Anniversary and Creators Update are exactly what their names imply -- they are updates. And they are akin to service packs. So the Anniversary Update was W10 Service Pack 1 while the Creators Update is Windows 10 Service Pack 2. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

58 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

You don't need to re-install windows. The Anniversary and Creators Update are exactly what their names imply -- they are updates. And they are akin to service packs. So the Anniversary Update was W10 Service Pack 1 while the Creators Update is Windows 10 Service Pack 2. 

Nice. Thanks.

Microsoft need to figure out how to use decimal numbers

59 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

So as I understand it, there is no difference if it was to install AU or CU? If it is an update, then AU should automatically update to CU?

Just now, Alir said:

So as I understand it, there is no difference if it was to install AU or CU? If it is an update, then AU should automatically update to CU?

Yep. 

Note: The CU had a staged release -- Microsoft was pushing the update to everyone all at once, so I don't know if they are now pushing it out to everyone or if they are still doing in the process of slowly releasing it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

At the moment they are still slowly pushing out the CU to users, you can manually upgrade to the CU yourself but it's not recommended by Microsoft.

8 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Yep. 

Note: The CU had a staged release -- Microsoft was pushing the update to everyone all at once, so I don't know if they are now pushing it out to everyone or if they are still doing in the process of slowly releasing it. 

Just now, NinJake said:

At the moment they are still slowly pushing out the CU to users, you can manually upgrade to the CU yourself but it's not recommended by Microsoft.

In that case, is it safer for me to install Anniversary now and let Microsoft roll out Creators to me? I'd rather not an unstable machine. 

1 minute ago, Alir said:

In that case, is it safer for me to install Anniversary now and let Microsoft roll out Creators to me? I'd rather not an unstable machine. 

AFAIK CU is stable at this point, my mom's laptop has been running the CU for about a week without any issues so far. But either way is fine. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Alir said:

I doubt anything bad would happen if you manually upgrade. I manually updated to AU back when it was "rolling out" to others and didn't encounter any issues. The only reason Microsoft doesn't recommend it, is "just in case" something doesn't work, you don't start making topics on tech forums and writing blog posts about how much Windows 10 sucks.

If you wait for it to roll out, you'll be 99% fine. If you manually update, you're probably still 99% fine. If you DO update, depending on your internet connection, just set it up to update overnight so you don't have to sit there and wait for it lol.

To add:

Here is what is new on both updates:

(please ignore the download links and all that, those reflect the moment of posting)

As mentioned, expect the Creator Update update to come through Windows Update in the coming weeks to months, depending on the wave and system specs.

If you install Windows 10, using Microsoft Windows 10 Media Creation Tools, it will get the latest version of Windows 10. So right now, Windows 10 with Creators Update.

And while we are talking about updates. The next Windows 10 update is codenamed Redstone 3 and is coming at the end of the year (probably in Oct or Nov)