Wacom Pen Display Vs....?

MAMAs_b0y

So I'm looking at buying a pen display. I assume Wacom has the best displays and particularly 16 inch cintiq pro model seems to me the best for the money. I've never owned or even tried a pen display before though so I wanted to ask if there are any better options out there? Thanks.

also as a side note, why tf is wacom's biggest most expensive model 1440p while they have another model that's like half the size and half the price that is 2160p

25 minutes ago, MAMAs_b0y said:

So I'm looking at buying a pen display. I assume Wacom has the best displays and particularly 16 inch cintiq pro model seems to me the best for the money. I've never owned or even tried a pen display before though so I wanted to ask if there are any better options out there? Thanks.

also as a side note, why tf is wacom's biggest most expensive model 1440p while they have another model that's like half the size and half the price that is 2160p

because its an pc and not only an midi input

3x 128GB Samsung PM961 M.2 (2x Kryom PCI-E M.2 by Aqua Computer) on windows os raid and 1x PM961 as os Host on the motherboard m.2 slot
+ 250GB Samsung 850 EVO
+ 7200RPM Seagate 1 Terabyte HDD
  • PSU
    seasonic 750 prime platinum Active PFC F3
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15S (original fan replaced by an Noctua 140mm industrialPPC-2000 IP67 PWM + Steel 140mm fan guard)
  • Keyboard
    Cherry MX Board 6.0 ISOANSI + Vector/Tai keycaps+ Landing pads + O-rings
  • Mouse
    BenQ Zowie EC2-A White Edition
  • Sound
    Edirol Roland UA-25EX + Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 x64 (Enterprise) SP1, OpenSUSE, Remnux

Wacom is the biggest in the game of pen displays and tablets, with about a 80% market share worldwide. This makes them a good supported hardware solution with the programs + this means all other solutions will be compared to them.

As for pen tablets there are brands like: Yinova, Huion and Artisul.

These brands are all just a tad bit worse than Wacom (mostly in drivers and support in the programs and sometimes with little small display issues like a bigger feeling air gap and stuff). The Artisul D13 is probably one of the most compelling offers from these brands. Sycra has a good review on it.

And as far Wacom's pricing, you have to remember they are dealing with two product generations. The one that use the Wacom Pro Pen and those that use the Pro Pen 2 (there is also the more budget options with different pens, but that irrelevant now).

The Cintiq Pro 13 and 16, all Mobilestudios and the new Wacom Intuos models (M and L) use this one, while the Cintiq 13HD, Cintiq 27QHD, Cintiq 22HD, Wacom Intuos Pro S and older M and L versions of it use the older pen (which has 4 times less pressure sensitivity, which IMO is noticeable).

You seem to be comparing the Cintiq 27QHD to the Cintiq pro 16.

The Cintiq Pro as mentioned is newer with the newer pen, while the 27QHD is bigger with the older pen and a smaller resolution. Comparing these two generations of products is not really productive. The 27QHD for example also has the awesome ergo stand..

Anyways, that's a whole bunch of whatever.. to wrap up:

Check out Huion, Yinova and Artisul. Especially the Artisul D13. Less support, but way cheaper.

The Cintiqs you are comparing are different generations of products with different accesoires.

If I left anything unclear or you have additional questions, be sure to ask away.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Ah alright thanks that helps clear things up. Do you think 16 inches could be limiting in anyway? would it be worth giving up the higher rez and next gen features for the extra screen size of the Cintiq 22HD?

13 hours ago, MAMAs_b0y said:

Ah alright thanks that helps clear things up. Do you think 16 inches could be limiting in anyway? would it be worth giving up the higher rez and next gen features for the extra screen size of the Cintiq 22HD?

It kind of depends what way you're working on the device. I am thinking about getting the Pro 13, but I feel like it would make me slouch over my desk a lot. I also feel like less detail is possible because of the smaller screen size.

Ultimately it comes down to how you will use the device, but if you can try them out in a store I definitely recommend you do that first.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/