Faulty 1080 gpu, psu or CPU?

Hi...

I have weird problem when turning on my pc my GPU don't power up to the end. Like it have light ups for second then turn off and screen don't show anything till monitor light goes orange from green. When I turn of pc (by holding power button)  the light on gpu goes on for split second. I have to restart multiple times for Pc to boot properly  any suggestions what it could be ? The GPU is 1 month old! 

Specs

GTX 1080 Gainward 

i7 3770k oc @ 4.3Ghz

16gb quad channel ram at ~1800hz

g77 UHD mobo

CS650M PSU 

Runing w7 64bit

i think it should be the psu problem but i am not 100% sure. also, i would highly recommend upgrading your cpu because its really old now. be carefull as you will need to change the mobo and ram if you upgrade to kabylake

it could be the the motherboard, i had a problem like this on a asus 775 board once

9 minutes ago, saksham said:

i think it should be the psu problem but i am not 100% sure. also, i would highly recommend upgrading your cpu because its really old now. be carefull as you will need to change the mobo and ram if you upgrade to kabylake

3770K isn't that old, might be bottlenecking the card a bit but not that much. 

Desktop Rig:

CPU: i7-6700K  Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65  Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE  Memory: Corsair VENGEANCE LED 3200Mhz (2x8GB)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270i  SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB, Samsung PM981 1TB  Case: Louqe Ghost S1

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3418DW

9 minutes ago, saksham said:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with age in some cases, that CPU has plenty of horsepower.

Do you have integrated graphics? If you do you can try starting with that.

Take your GPU out, plug video cables into the motherboard and see if you can get a signal from there.

Check all power cables if they're plugged in correctly.

28 minutes ago, saksham said:

your cpu because its really old now

An overclocked 3770k isn't as bad as you seem to think. 

Main

CPU: i7 4790 Ram: HyperX Savage 24GB DDR3 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 960 MOBO: Asus B85 Pro Gamer SSDs: HyperX Fury 120gb, Corsair Force LX 128gb HDDs: Seagate SSHD 1tb + 1tb seagate HDD CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Pure Rock PSU: Corsair RM650x Case: Fractal Design Define C window Case fans: 2x Corsair AF140 Quiet Ed. 140mm intake, 1x Corsair AF120 Quiet Ed. 120mm exhaust

Peripherals

Monitors: 2x Asus VN247H Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headset: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Mousepad: Steelseries QcK, Corsair MM300 XXL Cables: Corsair Premium Pro Red Sleeved Lighting: Corsair Node Pro

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

CPU: Core i3 7100u Ram: 8gb DDR4 SSD: 256gb Sandisk X4 Pro Screen: 13.3" TN 

Asus E403SA

CPU: Pentium N3700 Quad Core Ram: 4gb DDR3 SSD: 128gb eMMC Screen: 14" 1080p TN

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

PSU Tier List Updated    Personal Steam Account   

come again? a 3770k will not bottleneck a 1080 so i dont know where you got that from.

3rd gen i7 is better than a 4th gen i5, and 4th gen i5s are fine with 1080s.

23 hours ago, MVPernula said:

Do you have integrated graphics? If you do you can try starting with that.

Take your GPU out, plug video cables into the motherboard and see if you can get a signal from there.

Check all power cables if they're plugged in correctly.

I checked cables that was first i did... I have integrated graphic- So today when I was turning my pc on the gpu light went off like 3 sec after powering on I put cable to integrated graphic but nothing happened so i guess it means  pc see's gtx 1080... however I did not get signal I restarted and it was ok ... That's the thing that scares me I need to restart multiple times to it to work properly is there anyhow I can tell that it is my gpu dying or what ? 

Speaking about bottleneck of 3770k yes I would not call it bottleneck but with newer cpu it would get more fps in games because of newer architecture and IPS gains like 7700k would be 2-25%more fps on games that with my cpu and I don't see reason to upgrade it  as I hatewindows 10

23 hours ago, evan890dude said:

it could be the the motherboard, i had a problem like this on a asus 775 board once

How did you came up with conclusion that it was mobo? Thanks

22 hours ago, MrJarhead said:

come again? a 3770k will not bottleneck a 1080 so i dont know where you got that from.

3rd gen i7 is better than a 4th gen i5, and 4th gen i5s are fine with 1080s.

Speaking about bottleneck of 3770k yes I would not call it bottleneck but with newer cpu it would get more fps in games because of newer architecture and IPS gains like 7700k would be 2-25%more fps on games that with my cpu and I don't see reason to upgrade it  as I hate windows 10

23 hours ago, saksham said:

How do I check if that is PSU or not ? And why it works after if I restart pc few times and when it runs it runs really good with no issues ?!

Speaking about bottleneck of 3770k yes I would not call it bottleneck but with newer cpu it would get more fps in games because of newer architecture and IPS gains like 7700k would be 2-25%more fps on games that with my cpu and I don't see reason to upgrade it  as I hate windows 10

31 minutes ago, sviestish said:

How do I check if that is PSU or not ? And why it works after if I restart pc few times and when it runs it runs really good with no issues ?!

how old is the psu for a start? was this happening before you got the new gpu?, has it started recently? we need more info.

have you tried testing your pc without the graphics card in with the vga/hdmi plugged into the onboard graphics/motherboard.

2 hours ago, MrJarhead said:

how old is the psu for a start? was this happening before you got the new gpu?, has it started recently? we need more info.

have you tried testing your pc without the graphics card in with the vga/hdmi plugged into the onboard graphics/motherboard.

Sorry ... Psu is about 4 years old. It never happened before and yes 1 month ago I upgraded gpu from 760 to 1080 and this thing started two weeks ago. I don't see the use of trying onboard graphic cos this in completley random---Sometimes it will turn  on properly on first go and sometimes on 5th. Dunno what to do....

4 minutes ago, sviestish said:

Sorry ... Psu is about 4 years old. It never happened before and yes 1 month ago I upgraded gpu from 760 to 1080 and this thing started two weeks ago. I don't see the use of trying onboard graphic cos this in completley random---Sometimes it will turn  on properly on first go and sometimes on 5th. Dunno what to do....

if you take the gpu out and the pc boots every time without a problem, you know its the graphics card, its pretty simple.

The best way to check if it is PSU is to swap it out with a known good one.  That is generally the best way to test anything.  Replace with a known good one.  

If you don't have access to another PSU I would start by just changing the power leads to the Graphics card a 650 should have a few leads.  Just in case its a bad plug or wire.  at the same time you can break you multi meter and test the power leads as well.  

swapping in and out components is the best way to figure out your issue.  Don't make more than one change at a time.  

On 5/5/2017 at 6:18 PM, MrJarhead said:

if you take the gpu out and the pc boots every time without a problem, you know its the graphics card, its pretty simple.

Problem with that is if PSU can't handle GPU I will not know if it is gpu or psu... however I got my PSU readings  here

CPU TERMINATION    1.080 V
VCC3    3.364 V
+12V    12.240 V
+VCC    3.380 V
vAXG    0.012 V
CPU CORE    1.044 V
DRAM    1.536 V
+3.3V    3.384 V

As I saw online these voltages seems legit not 100% sure tho.

I used my on-board gpu and it was booting up 10/10 times...I then reinstalled and used my GPU it was good for 2 days then again having problems booting up.

I checked again all the cables and re-installed gpu into mobo. It was booting normally but I had some big stutters loading games it take forever for example Oeverwatch to load and then each time I got killed I had black screen locking out for few seconds and that how it performanced in all games... I then tested it again without dedicated GPU and it was doing exact same thing (stutter and loadings was bad). I checked all the temps and cpu never went more than 67C check SSD and my HDD and all looks 100% working perfectly fine. I still downclocked my cpu to 4.2ghz and it seems to fix it! I don't understand why was I running everything normal with these settings and suddenly I had to lower my clock seeds even tho I have normal temps? Is my cpu giving up ? Thanks for replays and sorry for my bad writing.

Still have the turn on problem ...  after several restarts pc runs fine...just annoyed by turning it on and scared if its my gtx 1080 thats failing... Will test with old gpu today just need it to out it togeather. If fails then sending my 1080 back...

I noticed that iy happends when my pc is sleeping and on wake up  no signal... any ideas?

On 2017-5-9 at 6:32 PM, sviestish said:

Problem with that is if PSU can't handle GPU I will not know if it is gpu or psu... however I got my PSU readings  here

CPU TERMINATION    1.080 V
VCC3    3.364 V
+12V    12.240 V
+VCC    3.380 V
vAXG    0.012 V
CPU CORE    1.044 V
DRAM    1.536 V
+3.3V    3.384 V

As I saw online these voltages seems legit not 100% sure tho.

I used my on-board gpu and it was booting up 10/10 times...I then reinstalled and used my GPU it was good for 2 days then again having problems booting up.

I checked again all the cables and re-installed gpu into mobo. It was booting normally but I had some big stutters loading games it take forever for example Oeverwatch to load and then each time I got killed I had black screen locking out for few seconds and that how it performanced in all games... I then tested it again without dedicated GPU and it was doing exact same thing (stutter and loadings was bad). I checked all the temps and cpu never went more than 67C check SSD and my HDD and all looks 100% working perfectly fine. I still downclocked my cpu to 4.2ghz and it seems to fix it! I don't understand why was I running everything normal with these settings and suddenly I had to lower my clock seeds even tho I have normal temps? Is my cpu giving up ? Thanks for replays and sorry for my bad writing.

your psu is 650 watts, its plenty enough.