DOA

mizzousoccerfan

i have been saving money for awile now for a gaming pc.  With chrimas coming up i was gunna ask for a few parts and my birthday is in feburay, was gunna get a few more then.  i would finally be able to buy the rest of the parts after that but i was wondering what parts are not likly to be doa becase i wouldnt be able to check if they worked in the 30 day warrinety.  My mom said that i couldnt get money for christams or my birthday so i have to get some parts but dont no what to ask for

any part can be doa to be perfectly honest, the parts that you should worry about though are Motherboards, CPU's and graphics cards. Usually if you have the 1 year manufacturers warranty you are fine and you can RMA the part.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Extremely unlikely. Only MB and GPU have a chance of DOA worth caring about. A DOA CPU very, very rare. 

Besides, RMA and DOA replacements are pretty prompt from Amazon and Newegg, so no sweat.

Error: 410

i have been saving money for awile now for a gaming pc.  With chrimas coming up i was gunna ask for a few parts and my birthday is in feburay, was gunna get a few more then.  i would finally be able to buy the rest of the parts after that but i was wondering what parts are not likly to be doa becase i wouldnt be able to check if they worked in the 30 day warrinety.  My mom said that i couldnt get money for christams or my birthday so i have to get some parts but dont no what to ask for

most claimed doa reviews are user error, or they fail to trouble shoot to see  what part is causing them the issues, its pretty damn rare.  I wouldn't buy parts at completely different times especially if you don't know if you'll have enought money to finish the build, especially if your a first time builder.

you can get a doa anything, or faulty stuff, my friend got a case and the front panel connectors arrived damaged on the soldering point, he had to short the power pins on his mobo to turn his pc on

Extremely unlikely. Only MB and GPU have a chance of DOA worth caring about. A DOA CPU very, very rare. 

Besides, RMA and DOA replacements are pretty prompt from Amazon and Newegg, so no sweat.

HDDs too

Spoiler

So if you had to recomend parts what would they be becuase it will really help me out funding it

What I would do is not worry if it will be doa but worry if you can check to see if it is. As is in you current pc ddr3 ram if so you can check you new ram in it. Do you see where im going with this?

I recommend checking everything before using it as anything can have issues and if your me it will have issues.

I was in similar shoes as you, I had bought a 660 but couldn't install it for 4 months. I was worried but it worked pretty great it seems, it comes down to the luck of the draw and your much more likely to get a working part than a doa one. 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Don't most decent parts come with at least a 1 year warranty? CPU/GPU is typically 3 years, drives anywhere from 2 to 5, RAM usually limited lifetime.

Don't most decent parts come with at least a 1 year warranty? CPU/GPU is typically 3 years, drives anywhere from 2 to 5, RAM usually limited lifetime.

Yes but wouldnt you want to have working parts after acquiring them over a couple months when putting them togther once their all here?

Yes but wouldnt you want to have working parts after acquiring them over a couple months when putting them togther once their all here?

Well, of course. But the op said that he was worried about the 30-day warranty being up by the time he gets to build his system.

Ok so just not really worry about it and get what ever I can since most parts come with at least a year warrinty.

Ok so just not really worry about it and get what ever I can since most parts come with at least a year warrinty.

yes but check before and if you worried about the 30 retailer warranty but the stuff first that you can check with your current rig.