Define R5 Fan Setup

Jz1

Noticing a bit of dust build up on my front mesh panel and nothing on the exhaust mesh panel which is strange. I have a 980 Ti which produces quite a bit of heat so I'm looking for an optimal fan set up in my Define R5.

Whats your fan setup in your case, Would you guys recommend 2 intakes 1 exhaust or any other suggestions for the Define R5? Thanks heaps :)

PS: I have ducted heating vent turned on the winter so I'm not sure if that creates extra dust

Sennheiser HD600 Logitech G304 White Anne Pro 2 LG27UL500

Ryzen 5 3600 + MSI B450i Gaming Plus AC in Fractal Design Nano S

3 minutes ago, Sabron said:

Noticing a bit of dust build up on my front mesh panel and nothing on the exhaust mesh panel which is strange. I have a 980 Ti which produces quite a bit of heat so I'm looking for an optimal fan set up in my Define R5.

Whats your fan setup in your case, Would you guys recommend 2 intakes 1 exhaust or any other suggestions for the Define R5? Thanks heaps :)

PS: I have ducted heating vent turned on the winter so I'm not sure if that creates extra dust

Well, no dust in the exhaust mesh panel means that your front mesh panel is doing it's job. Your front mesh is tanking all the dust and thus none (or very little) dust is going into your system. I think dust has nothing to do with heat (I might be wrong thou). If your room is generally dusty (like mine) then you can expect a lot of duct on your front mesh.

2 intake and 1 exhaust sounds alright to me.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

The more the dust on the intake and the less dust on the exhaust, the better.  Dust can create problems from a couple different points.  First, dust will act like an insulator.  The more dust, the more insulation between the surface that generates the heat and the surrounding area causing it to retain heat.  And we all know that excess heat is a bad thing for computers regardless of what they are used for.  Second, dust can contain electrically compatible materials such as animal hair.  Since animal (and human) hair is comprised of carbon, it is electrically conductive creating the risk of an electrical short in the system whether it be on the Mobo or on any other sort of printed circuit.  Hope this helps.

@Sabron

your setup is perfectly good, the positive air pressure is great

as for your hot running 980ti consider this: (i have a Define R5)

- i removed my top HDD cage to increase airflow to my components

- two 140mm intake at the front

- one 120mm intake at the bottom between the PSU and HDD cage

- one 140mm exhaust at the rear

that extra 120mm intake at the bottom should be able to more quickly introduce fresh air for your GPU and its also filtered

ive been using my R5 in this config for about a month now in a carpetted house, and theres little to no dust in my pc

Photography / Finance / Gaming

I guess if you put the fans like:

1 top, 1 back, 1 CPU Cooler, 2 Front

Will be a good solution (based on LTT video "How many case fans we need?"

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

If you have no dust on your exhaust, your intake dust filter is doing it's job. If your GPU is running hot, they issue might be with the type of exhaust fan you have. If you have high static pressure fan(s) for you exhaust fans, swap them to air flow fans (fans with thinner blades). I had a similar issue with my Define Nano S and swapping my fan dropped my temps by 10c.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit