Hard decisions.. as always?

iWearKiltz

So I have been wanting to upgrade my system from the bottom for a while. I've been doing other possible upgrades, like SSD, monitor and Case but other then that, I can't really upgrade the Mobo and CPU yet..

I'll be going to uni next year and so I plan to spend more now to have better performance then.

with that in mind, 

should i wait for ddr4? (rumoured early 2014)

should i get i7?

780ti?

thanks

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

So I have been wanting to upgrade my system from the bottom for a while. I've been doing other possible upgrades, like SSD, monitor and Case but other then that, I can't really upgrade the Mobo and CPU yet..

I'll be going to uni next year and so I plan to spend more now to have better performance then.

with that in mind, 

should i wait for ddr4? (rumoured early 2014)

should i get i7?

780ti?

thanks

Nah don't wait for DDR4, even if it does come out early next year you'd probably still have to wait for mobos to come out with support for it. Also I'd wait for maxwell/next gen AMD series cards if you can since they're rumored to be 20nm and will probably be a nice jump in performance

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

Spend $100 or less on improving the looks of your system considering you have a window. Choose a theme, sleeve the cables, add some nice fans, lights, whatever, and save up to replace parts in the future. Also get a mechanical keyboard ^.^

I have the same CPU and hit 4.2GHz easy by putting NB up to 2.2 on 1.2V I think, and CPU up maybe 0.1V...

Current rig: i5 4670K | GTX 670 | Asus Z87I-Pro | Silverstone Strider Plus 600W | Custom mITX case | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Samsung 840 120GB | G430 | CM Storm Quickfire Pro - MX Red | LG 21.5"

i7? Depends on what you use your system for.

780 Ti? Bad value.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Spend $100 or less on improving the looks of your system considering you have a window. Choose a theme, sleeve the cables, add some nice fans, lights, whatever, and save up to replace parts in the future. Also get a mechanical keyboard ^.^

I have the same CPU and hit 4.2GHz easy by putting NB up to 2.2 on 1.2V I think, and CPU up maybe 0.1V...

that sounds like a brilliant idea. it gives me something to do whilst waiting for next gen stuff.

i've been wanting a mech keyboard, the g710+ specifically cause of brown switches and o rings. but my old keyboard broke so on short notice got this one. it's not amazing, but it does what its meant for.

i have an issue with my mobo which means anything above the boost (3.6Ghz) and the system will fail any stress test, like prime95, and would even fail to run a game longer then half an hour. maybe i should have another play around, but i do have a problem as the cpu fan header isnt recognised but still sends a voltage, so whilst it cant be controlled, the fan is still spinning. i think this might have some implications and may be the cause to why i cant overclock. i also have the ORIGINAL (not any kind of revison) of the m5a97. 

making the rig look good though is something possible :)

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

i7? Depends on what you use your system for.

780 Ti? Bad value.

so even the extra money spent on it now wont redeem much performance in say, 2 years time?

i7 because i have in the past edited and uploaded videos onto youtube, so i may decide to do it in the future and paying an extra £100 for an i7 now isnt something that will annoy me. so im pretty certain im getting an i7. i also havent livestreamed before and would like to play around with that

so if not a Ti, what other card would be good right now? im having an internal argument with myself about RED or GREEN. i mean amd have mantle coming up, but those cards run hot. green dont have mantle but seem to be more of a well done package. UGH! help me please haha!

Spoiler

i've been wanting a mech keyboard, the g710+ specifically cause of brown switches and o rings. but my old keyboard broke so on short notice got this one. it's not amazing, but it does what its meant for.

I have the G710+. The thing's a beauty.  :wub:

so even the extra money spent on it now wont redeem much performance in say, 2 years time?

i7 because i have in the past edited and uploaded videos onto youtube, so i may decide to do it in the future and paying an extra £100 for an i7 now isnt something that will annoy me. so im pretty certain im getting an i7. i also havent livestreamed before and would like to play around with that

so if not a Ti, what other card would be good right now? im having an internal argument with myself about RED or GREEN. i mean amd have mantle coming up, but those cards run hot. green dont have mantle but seem to be more of a well done package. UGH! help me please haha!

Technology is something that gets better and cheaper with time. You're better off getting something cheaper that performs well and getting better/cheaper hardware with the money you would've already spent. 

If you're not doing anything hefty or professional with editing, an i5 would do. It's far from weak and the only difference from the i7 is that it has a bit less cache and no hyperthreading. An 8350 would also be great for that with 8 cores for upcoming games and streaming. 

If you're doing triple 1080p or 1440p, get a 290. The cards only run as hot as you want them to. 

1080p, go for a 280x. 

Unless you really want shadowplay, physx, or a shield, it's better to go amd for the lower prices, wider memory bus, and generally more vram. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.