Overclocking on Msi Z97 Gaming 5 + i54690K

Go to solution Solved by i_build_nanosuits,
2 minutes ago, justicerevenge said:

OK, so I managed to adjust the CPU frequency and the CPU voltage. and after resetting, now i cant get back into BIOS, im stuck on A2 (the code it displays on the monitor/mobo)

then i guess your only option is to reset the CMOS and try again...you probably put some wrong values in there...

to reset your motherboard to it's default settings:

1- unplug the machine from the wall

2- remove the little battery on the motherboard, and then hold the power button for like 15-20 sec to make sure the power is all gone.

CMOS-Battery-3.jpg

3- put back the battery in

4- plug back the machine into the wall and try again.

I need help overclocking on this system, I haven't overclocked before, but i can't manage to change anything from within the BIOS. CPU Ratio to change my clock speed is stuck in AUTO. I can't figure out how to change my CPU Frequency or my CPU Voltage. I went over the manual but I didn't get anything new as the options to change the frequency is there, its just stuck on AUTO.

i5 4690k

Z97 Gaming 5

Dominator 16gb @2133MHz

use the + and - keys on your keyboard...or click and type the value you want in there.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

use the + and - keys on your keyboard...or click and type the value you want in there.

that works with the base clock, but for the cpu freq. the tab is grey out and it gets skipped over when i try to select it. the bios is acting like my cpu isnt unlocked because all the on the side "the help box" it says "this item can only be changed if the processor supports this function." which it should since its a "k" CPU.

Just now, justicerevenge said:

that works with the base clock, but for the cpu freq. the tab is grey out and it gets skipped over when i try to select it. the bios is acting like my cpu isnt unlocked because all the on the side "the help box" it says "this item can only be changed if the processor supports this function." which it should since its a "k" CPU.

change CPU ratio from auto to manual

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

10 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

change CPU ratio from auto to manual

OK, so I managed to adjust the CPU frequency and the CPU voltage. and after resetting, now i cant get back into BIOS, im stuck on A2 (the code it displays on the monitor/mobo)

then i guess your only option is to reset the CMOS and try again...you probably put some wrong values in there...

2- remove the little battery on the motherboard, and then hold the power button for like 15-20 sec to make sure the power is all gone.

CMOS-Battery-3.jpg

3 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

thanks, im back. I had originally gone with Linus' recommended start off point of 4.6 and 1.2v. "CPU Core Voltage" is what i should be adjusting right? And i guess i should start at 36 multiplier then and see how far that goes?

7 minutes ago, justicerevenge said:

thanks, im back. I had originally gone with Linus' recommended start off point of 4.6 and 1.2v. "CPU Core Voltage" is what i should be adjusting right? And i guess i should start at 36 multiplier then and see how far that goes?

i would leave voltage on auto first and try a multiplier of 40 and see how this works

then i'd try 42...and then you can raise the voltage depending on your cooling and climb slowly from there...usually a multiplier of 45 at around 1.3v is doable for most 4690K assuming you have good CPU cooling.

46 at 1.2v would be a golden sample...most of them won't even boot at those settings.

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i would leave voltage on auto first and try a multiplier of 40 and see how this works

then i'd try 42...and then you can raise the voltage depending on your cooling and climb slowly from there...usually a multiplier of 45 at around 1.3v is doable for most 4690K assuming you have good CPU cooling.

46 at 1.2v would be a golden sample...most of them won't even boot at those settings.

I have a 212 Evo, with a Sickleflow (2.94 mmH2O of air pressure) to assist the stock fan. and pretty good airflow in my case. rn i tried 37x with auto voltage and running Heaven temps are ~47/48C. im gonna go back into BIOS and jump to and try 40.

thank you for your help man, i really appreciate it all. what would you recommend for a final stability test on my OC?

I have a 212 Evo, with a Sickleflow (2.94 mmH2O of air pressure) to assist the stock fan. and pretty good airflow in my case. rn i tried 37x with auto voltage and running Heaven temps are ~47/48C. im gonna go back into BIOS and jump to and try 40.

getting to know your chip...what kind of CPU you have...it's the tricky part...you'll crash it a couple times finding that out for sure...if it fail to go backto the bios clear the CMOS again try something more conservative, or add more volts depending on your temps.

Also, unigine heaven is a GPU benchmark...to test your CPU overclock you want a CPU stress testing tool...like intel extreme utility or Aida 64 for example.

thank you for your help man, i really appreciate it all. what would you recommend for a final stability test on my OC?

Aida 64 for 30 minutes, monitor your temps...and also intel extreme tuning utility for 30 minutes...

if you pass both then i would suggest you use the computer normally...play games and what not,.,and after a week if it has not crashed then you'll know your CPU is stable for what you do.

oh yea, youre right. i was thinking of GPU OCing lol. how long should i run preliminary test on AIDA and how long for a final?

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

Aida 64 for 30 minutes, monitor your temps...and also intel extreme tuning utility for 30 minutes...

if you pass both then i would suggest you use the computer normally...play games and what not,.,and after a week if it has not crashed then you'll know your CPU is stable for what you do.

awesome thanks

oh yea, youre right. i was thinking of GPU OCing lol. how long should i run preliminary test on AIDA and how long for a final?

some people recommend running it for hours and hours...but i usually do about 30 minutes...because in the past i remember running a stress test for 4 hours without crash and then only to crash during my first battlefield multiplayer match...so...some stress testing is good but i also like to test with games and normal use.

whoa, hold on. ive never used AIDA before, do i run "CPU Queen" orr...??