Is 650W enough ?

calindeva

Hello, i have a Rasurbo GAP656V2 and i want to know if i can upgrade to a GTX 1080 and run it with no problem.In the past i had a GTX 770 that run with no problem and later an GTX 780 ti that was making my PSU hot and in GTA 5 i experienced some sudden shutdowns i think due to the psu, but that 780 ti has an 250W TDP and was oc'ed so it surpassed that tdp for sure.
This 1080 only have 1x 8 PIN connector and 180 W TDP. I plan to keep it this way until i can buy a new psu. So i am safe for game use with no oc ?

My system specs are: CPU: I7 4790K No OC
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 3
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 1 X 4GB + 1 x 8GB noname
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB + Caviar Black 1 TB
GPU: Inno3D GTX 1060 6 GB
PSU: Rasurbo GaminX and Power 650W V2

That power supply sounds like it's absolute trash.

I'd suggest getting something along the lines of this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438017

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

34 minutes ago, calindeva said:

Hello, i have a Rasurbo GAP656V2 and i want to know if i can upgrade to a GTX 1080 and run it with no problem.In the past i had a GTX 770 that run with no problem and later an GTX 780 ti that was making my PSU hot and in GTA 5 i experienced some sudden shutdowns i think due to the psu, but that 780 ti has an 250W TDP and was oc'ed so it surpassed that tdp for sure.
This 1080 only have 1x 8 PIN connector and 180 W TDP. I plan to keep it this way until i can buy a new psu. So i am safe for game use with no oc ?

My system specs are: CPU: I7 4790K No OC
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 3
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 1 X 4GB + 1 x 8GB noname
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB + Caviar Black 1 TB
GPU: Inno3D GTX 1060 6 GB
PSU: Rasurbo GaminX and Power 650W V2

I'm shocked a power hungry and hot 780 Ti worked with that craptastic unit.

Get an EVGA G2/3 or something like a Seasonic G-series.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

That power supply isn't a 650w .. if you look at the label you can see it can output only 40A on 12v (480w) , split into 2 x 20A rails and the rest of the power is available on 3.3v and 5v only.

Even so, even though it's a German brand, I suspect it can't actually supply even that much on 12v, it's probably only around 400 watts on 12v. And, the fact that it has only two years warranty makes me suspect it's based on some old HEC design with cheap capacitors that are now probably "weak" due to constant heat in the power supply.

I'd recommend going with a quality 500w+ power supply - the system you have won't use more than 300-350 watts when gaming so you don't really need 650w or higher.

Based on your name, I suspect you're Romanian, in which case the older Sesaonic S12II-520 Bronze power supplies have quite a good price these days.