Fan speeds higher after fresh install. Help

Hello everyone,

I could not determine the best place to post this question. My fan is always on my ASUS Q550LF Laptop and are a lot louder than they use to be. 

I upgraded my storage by putting in an SSD and I was suggested to do a clean install of win10. So before doing so I backed up my drivers and did a clean install. Prior to the upgrade my fans were almost silent. I did have a period when I first installed win10 that I was having a similar problem but after a system update it stopped. After the clean install, all of win10 updates, and all of the drivers that I had my fans are much louder even when idle.

Before the clean install I was not having any problem so I do not know what my fan RPM was. But I have a screen shot below of what it is when it is "loud" and idle. When playing a game I expect them to turn on get a little louder but not when idle. 

Since it previously was fixed with a windows update I am thinking it is related to win10 but I have read windows does not control the fans directly and I have made sure to turn off all background services that are not needed (win10 update sharing, ect) so the CPU usage is typically at 5-15%

I have looked at ASUS for other updates and I have found there is a BIOS update but nothing fan related so I am hesitant to update that. 

I am at a loss as to what it could be or what to check out next. Any help would be appreciated. 

CPU IDLE fan.png

Are the fans bios controlled?

Did you alter settings in the bios during the installation?

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

Just now, GuruMeditationError said:

Are the fans bios controlled?

Did you alter settings in the bios during the installation?

I did not alter anything during the install other than adding the SSD and changing it's priority.

I have looked at the bios and I am not able to change fan settings in the bios but I do not know if that means it is bios controlled or not.

To be honest, laptops aren't really my area? I would have thought the fans would have been bios controlled and whatever advice I could suggest would be based on the assumption that they are...so, really I'd just be looking for physical reasons why the thermal profile of the machine might have changed...e.g. maybe the new drive's blocking a vent, or some such thing...

...can you post the model number of the machine, or the Bios it's running?

Edit: actually hang on, just saw it in your original post: ASUS Q550LF

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

System Manufacturer:       ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model:              Q550LF
System Type:               x64-based PC
Processor(s):              Intel Core i7-4500U CPU @ 1.80GHz 2.40GHz
                           [01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 69 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~1800 Mhz
BIOS Version:              American Megatrends Inc. Q550LF.214, 5/7/2014

I took a look at the manual and I can't find anything in the bios that looks like it'll control a fan.

I took a look at the notes in in the BIOS updates list and it seems there might be an issue with the fan running at full speed if "NV GC6 function" is enabled.

That's something that may very well be operating system controlled...I'm trying to track down what it actually is...

...it might be as simple as just trying to find out what NV GC6 is and then finding a way to disable it...otherwise a bios update might solve the problem but bios updates are risky (because you can brick the hardware).

I can't find the bios you have on that machine on the list of updates so, I'm assuming that's the one that was on it when you bought it? If that's the case then there's a better chance that a Bios upgrade might solve the problem but there were BIOS dated earlier than yours where that problem was already fixed.

1 minute ago, GuruMeditationError said:

I took a look at the manual and I can't find anything in the bios that looks like it'll control a fan.

I took a look at the notes in in the BIOS updates list and it seems there might be an issue with the fan running at full speed if "NV GC6 function" is enabled.

That's something that may very well be operating system controlled...I'm trying to track down what it actually is...

...it might be as simple as just trying to find out what NV GC6 is and then finding a way to disable it...otherwise a bios update might solve the problem but bios updates are risky (because you can brick the hardware).

I can't find the bios you have on the list of updates so, assuming that's the one that was on it when you bought it?

I believe it is. I do remember looking into updating the bios previously and I think I backed away after learning I could brick my computer.
I will try hunting down any info I can find on the NV GC6.
Thank you for your help thus far.

Have you updated your video drivers...it seems NV probably denotes nVidia. Updating video drivers might help.

@Fill6251 

As far as I can tell it's probably something to do with nVidea hardware and probably not something that's accessible via a GUI...

...if it is accessible via a GUI / operating system interface, then there's a possibility it might have something to do with NVLINK / NV-Link...if that's something that can be turned on or off or configured somewhere in the software then it might be the key to disabling NV GC6 (whatever it might be (I've reached a dead end searching for it)), but otherwise, it looks like it might just mean biting the bullet and performing a bios upgrade.

...but before that, upgrade your video drivers with drivers downloaded direct from nVidea...it could be something as simple as it requiring a driver direct from nVidea, rather than relying on what Microsoft might have archived to provide through the automatic update service.

Also, probably best to use a dedicated driver uninstall utility before re-installing...there's one people generally recommend on the forum, that I've used and it seems pretty good...

Display Driver Uninstaller: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

6 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

As far as I can tell it's probably something to do with nVidea hardware and probably not something that's accessible via a GUI...

...if it is accessible via a GUI / operating system interface, then there's a possibility it might have something to do with NVLINK / NV-Link...if that's something that can be turned on or off or configured somewhere in the software then it might be the key to disabling NV GC6 (whatever it might be (I've reached a dead end searching for it)), but otherwise, it looks like it might just mean biting the bullet and performing a bios upgrade.

...but before that, upgrade your video drivers with drivers downloaded direct from nVidea...it could be something as simple as it requiring a driver direct from nVidea, rather than relying on what Microsoft might have archived to provide through the automatic update service.

Also, probably best to use a dedicated driver uninstall utility before re-installing...there's one people generally recommend on the forum but I don't remember what it's called. :/  

Thanks for the advice much appreciated. I am looking into if there are any new video drivers needed to be installed now. 

Just now, Fill6251 said:

Thanks for the advice much appreciated. I am looking into if there are any new video drivers needed to be installed now. 

Cool, but yeah...get them direct from nVidea and see if it makes a difference...also you could try it the other way around too, i.e. uninstall them with DDU and update using Microsoft to see if you get a different driver build that solves the problem.

Sadly that did not make any difference with the video drivers. 

I will try bios update sometime this week.