4ch Headphone Amplifier

eddieceidde

Looking for an alternative to the Presonus HP4 to power my HD650. Currently using Focusrite interface so colour clashing is the issue right now... First world problem ay?

why 4 channel?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

11 hours ago, spwath said:

why 4 channel?

convenience if I ever need to do recording, i'm fine with 2 too.

10 hours ago, CameronDSetty said:

What's your price range?

around the price of the hp4. not looking for anything too over the top.

schiit vali 2

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

4 minutes ago, spwath said:

schiit vali 2

Hmm not really what i'm looking for. I want something for a home studio not coloured sound, and something with a 1/4" output jack.

12 minutes ago, Iamfreddie said:

Hmm not really what i'm looking for. I want something for a home studio not coloured sound, and something with a 1/4" output jack.

it does have 1/4", and will be better than an audio interface

2 minutes ago, spwath said:

it does have 1/4", and will be better than an audio interface

oh yea it does but coloured audio with the tube tho, not good for mixing.

The vali really isn't colored much imo, but at that price I would just go with a Magni especially if your worried about coloration. If your handy with a soldering iron an O2 would also work, but I feel as though the Magni is better, find the O2 a bit brittle and possibly harsh sounding. 

I can't think of anything that beats the Magni at that price point.

17 hours ago, Iamfreddie said:

oh yea it does but coloured audio with the tube tho, not good for mixing.

To be completely fair, you shouldn't be relying on headphones to mix with. Referencing a mix, go right ahead but in all honesty you should be mixing on monitors.

You should really mix with speakers and only use headphones to find the small flaws and such. If you purely mix with headphones then the chance of it sounding bad with speakers is fairly high compared to speakers aka monitors.

While mainly mixing with speakers and only use headphones to find the small things will yield a better result. If it sounds good with speakers, then it is almost guaranteed that it will sound good with headphones

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

7 hours ago, schwarzerrogen said:

To be completely fair, you shouldn't be relying on headphones to mix with. Referencing a mix, go right ahead but in all honesty you should be mixing on monitors.

6 hours ago, Dackzy said:

You should really mix with speakers and only use headphones to find the small flaws and such. If you purely mix with headphones then the chance of it sounding bad with speakers is fairly high compared to speakers aka monitors.

While mainly mixing with speakers and only use headphones to find the small things will yield a better result. If it sounds good with speakers, then it is almost guaranteed that it will sound good with headphones

I do mix with speakers but not monitors, I can't afford those right now and I live in a house full of people so mixing with speakers is not easy. The Yamaha HS7/HS8 is on my purchase list but for now, something to drive my HD650 and the Magni 2 looks like a great option. You can mix with anything, you just need to learn your equipment.

I don't see the need for you using a headphone amp at this point. If you were recording drums or loud ass guitars, sure. But the Focusrite box has plenty of clean gain and isn't adversely coloured.

1 minute ago, schwarzerrogen said:

I don't see the need for you using a headphone amp at this point. If you were recording drums or loud ass guitars, sure. But the Focusrite box has plenty of clean gain and isn't adversely coloured.

yea guess i could do that. save a few bucks for the monitors.

Just now, Iamfreddie said:

yea guess i could do that. save a few bucks for the monitors.

I record everything through my Focusrite box and have never once wanted an amp, that bastard is loud. 

HS7s are the best value you can get.