Please explain this for me? :D

Qrudow

Hello guys! 

Earlier today, i saw a guy claiming that installing fx 32 GB of RAM (4 x 8 GB) in four slots, with one GPU would mean that the effective RAM of the PC would be 16 GB. Meaning that in order to get 32 GB effective you'd need a second GPU. However, i've always been under the impression that RAM would be system wide, and mostly accessed by the CPU? So that that the effective RAM doesn't depend on how many GPU's you have installed. 

Am i being dumb here? Or does anyone know what he might have meant? 

CPU Intel i7 4790K - Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM Cosair Vengeance Pro 32 GB @2400Mhz - GPU Asus ROG 980 Matrix Platnium x2 - Case Coolermaster HAF XB Evo - Storage Samsung 500GB Evo SSD x2 in RAID 0 + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 x2 in RAID 0 - PSU Corsair RM1000

For example the old i7 950 supported 24gb of ram the 7700k supports 64gb.

Thanks guys, good to see i still know my stuff. The 8x8 should've been 8x4, oops :P 

CPU Intel i7 4790K - Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM Cosair Vengeance Pro 32 GB @2400Mhz - GPU Asus ROG 980 Matrix Platnium x2 - Case Coolermaster HAF XB Evo - Storage Samsung 500GB Evo SSD x2 in RAID 0 + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 x2 in RAID 0 - PSU Corsair RM1000

Just now, yathis said:

What if one is defective?

or two

<64

You mean one or multiple RAM sticks? 

Defective RAM would most likely just prevent the PC to boot as long as the defective RAM is still installed. 

Then 8x8x8, or 8x8, or 8

Just saying is all, its not 100% guarunteed(sp)

8x4 means you could run your RAM in quad channel, and it is not affected by amount of GPUs

GPU vram is framebuffer and is GPU only, while RAM that your system uses is for the CPU

1 minute ago, yathis said:

Then 8x8x8, or 8x8, or 8

Just saying is all, its not 100% guarunteed(sp)

Not sure i understand :/

Just now, Qrudow said:

Not sure i understand :/

If one stick is defective, then math class is in or out?

Just now, TheRealOranges said:

GPU vram is framebuffer and is GPU only, while RAM that your system uses is for the CPU

Yeah, this is what i believed as well. 

9 minutes ago, yathis said:

If one stick is defective, then math class is in or out?

Well, if you have say, 8x4 sticks, and one is defective then you would need to remove the defective stick, meaning you would only have 24 GB effective. The PC would most likely not be able to boot, with a defective stick of RAM. 

24 minutes ago, Qrudow said:

Hello guys! 

Earlier today, i saw a guy claiming that installing fx 32 GB of RAM (8 x 8 GB) in four slots, with one GPU would mean that the effective RAM of the PC would be 16 GB. Meaning that in order to get 32 GB effective you'd need a second GPU. However, i've always been under the impression that RAM would be system wide, and mostly accessed by the CPU? So that that the effective RAM doesn't depend on how many GPU's you have installed. 

the guy is on drugs; having one GPU doesn't cut effective system ram to half. with that logic folks without a GPU wouldn't be able to run their computers at all. it only applies to SLI/crossfire where effective vram remains at say, 8gb even if you have 4 8gb GPUs.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Just now, huilun02 said:

There is system memory (RAM) that is used exclusively by the processor

And video memory (VRAM) that comes with your graphics card, is used exclusively by the graphics processor

Total RAM quantity depends on what you have installed, and can be replaced or upgraded as you like. The maximum amount the system will recognize, is determined by the motherboard's limitation and operating system. There are single sticks of RAM that can have 16GB each. Some motherboards also have only two RAM slots.

Total VRAM quantity is determined by the model of graphics card you buy. It cannot be upgraded. If you run two graphics card together (SLI for Nvidia and Crossfire for AMD), it WILL NOT double the effective amount of VRAM.

Yeah, this is what i believed as well - just wanted to make sure i wasn't the odd one out! :D

9 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

drugs

Most of the population is on a drug, whether it is coffee, cola, tea, alcohol, weed, heroin, lsd, perscription drugs

Do you even maths bro

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016