Setting up raid 0

Grovers1
Go to solution Solved by Aelneri,

Please define Hard Drive experts :P

I Guess many People have input they want to share.

I have read through your thread and I am wondering about your drive setup.

Do you have 4 drives were:

Disk 0: 240GB
Disk 1: 500GB
Disk 2: 500GB
Disk 3: 1000GB

Or 4 drives were:

Disk 3: 500GB  (and something went wrong when using Raid 0 on the motherboard Controller)?

Reading the thread again, I think it is the latter.

What you should do, is og back to the motherboard raid-Controller software and redo the Raid.

You can do this without having any other harddrives Connected to the computer so you do not accidently destroy your OS disk.

So, in short. Turn off your computer.

Remove the drives you do not want to raid (disconnect the Sata-cables)

Open the Raid-software when available.

Follow your manual's instructions on how to disassemble the incorrect raid

Do the same for re-creating the raid.

Turn off your computer again.

Re-Connect the Sata-cables and boot Windows to see if the issue persist.

Hi im trying to setup raid 0 between my 2 identical drives but im having some trouble.

I have to 500gb drives Disk2 & Disk3

I cant seem to clear/format this drive i just get errors. disk 3 is ment to be in raid 0 with dive 2. somthing doesnt seem right tho because disk 2 is still there

1.PNG

I can format dive 2 so it cant be in raid with drive 3 even tho drive 3 says it is

2.PNG.32da01154d7a3f387b54178dfc4255ea.PNG

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Processor / Cooler Master Hyper 212X LED Cooler / ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Z170 Motherboard / TeamGroup Nighthawk 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory / OCZ Trion 150 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive / 2x WDBlue 500GB 2.5" 5400RPM Hard Drive (Raid 0) / EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SC GAMING Video Card / Cougar Panzar Duel Window ATX Mid Tower Case / SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply / Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

If you are tying to put 2 & 3 together they are different drive capacities. 1 is 500gb the other is 1tb

8 minutes ago, Andster29 said:

If you are tying to put 2 & 3 together they are different drive capacities. 1 is 500gb the other is 1tb

ahhh, but they arnt i tried to setup raid and it gave me the 1tb dive3 but it didnt work or somthing because i can just format dive 2.

Drive 3 says its includes both drives but its only 1

its not a great picture but that's drive 2 & 3

image.jpeg

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Processor / Cooler Master Hyper 212X LED Cooler / ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Z170 Motherboard / TeamGroup Nighthawk 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory / OCZ Trion 150 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive / 2x WDBlue 500GB 2.5" 5400RPM Hard Drive (Raid 0) / EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SC GAMING Video Card / Cougar Panzar Duel Window ATX Mid Tower Case / SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply / Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, Andster29 said:

I would start over from scratch and use command line diskpart to run the clean function on the drives you are trying to use. 

This should help:

https://www.howtogeek.com/235824/how-to-clean-a-flash-drive-sd-card-or-internal-drive-to-fix-partition-and-capacity-problems/

im trying to start over. look what happens when i try

3.PNG

Trying to format drive3 then give me the erorr "data error (cyclic redundancy check)"

Try deleting the raid set up so that they are two individual drives again and then perform the clean command on each drive.

9 minutes ago, Andster29 said:

Try deleting the raid set up so that they are two individual drives again and then perform the clean command on each drive.

how?

I think ill need some type of software to wipe it

Bump?

Any hard drive experts here? idk where else i could ask

Please define Hard Drive experts :P

I Guess many People have input they want to share.

I have read through your thread and I am wondering about your drive setup.

Do you have 4 drives were:

Disk 3: 1000GB

Or 4 drives were:

Disk 3: 500GB  (and something went wrong when using Raid 0 on the motherboard Controller)?

What you should do, is og back to the motherboard raid-Controller software and redo the Raid.

You can do this without having any other harddrives Connected to the computer so you do not accidently destroy your OS disk.

If your motherboard is the one in the comments you have a Raid-controller configurable on your motherboard (-> [CTRL] + [ I ] <-) 

http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z170x-ud3_e.pdf

Under Chapter 3, you will find how to setup a software raid using the motherboards raidcontroller.

You could also try creating a Windows Dynamic Disk raid to test, but you have to enter the motherboards Raid-Controller software first to remove the raid.

1 hour ago, Aelneri said:

Or 4 drives were:

That sounds like the problem

"is og back to the motherboard raid-Controller software" i dont understand what you mean by this

If your motherboard is the one in the comments you have a Raid-controller configurable on your motherboard (-> [CTRL] + [ I ] <-) 

http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z170x-ud3_e.pdf

Under Chapter 3, you will find how to setup a software raid using the motherboards raidcontroller.

You could also try creating a Windows Dynamic Disk raid to test, but you have to enter the motherboards Raid-Controller software first to remove the raid.

Using Asus Maximus VIII Hero Mobo now

2 hours ago, Aelneri said:

It worked i have 2 freash hdds now to raid...

Is in progress now, this time using windows disk management

I have not had a chanse (yet) to test the differences in speed With Windows Dynamic raid vs motherboard software Raid.

Hope everything Works out for you :)

One of the benefits I have had With Windows Dynamic Raid is on Windows Server. It is much simpler to be able to move the raid between machines (in the unlikely event of a motherboard crash).