extend ethernet

happy57110
Go to solution Solved by Blake,
14 minutes ago, happy57110 said:

is there any way to extend the range of your ethernet cable without using poe because i heard that if i plug in poe to a non poe device it will fry it. i just want to know how to make the range of the ethernet cable longer before the data starts degrading

Nah, POE wont fry a non-poe device. This is assuming that the POE is following the correct standards (i.e. non-poe devices just don't bridge the specific pins so no circuit is formed).

If your looking for a long single run use a different Ethernet standard - ie. LX is fiber up to 5km, all the way to ZX which is up for 73km or something massive.

is there any way to extend the range of your ethernet cable without using poe because i heard that if i plug in poe to a non poe device it will fry it. i just want to know how to make the range of the ethernet cable longer before the data starts degrading

4 minutes ago, happy57110 said:

For CAT 5e the Max length is 100M (330ft) to retain gigabit speeds, if you can physically run the cable you can get a coupler if your current cable is just a bit short or to replace it with a longer run. 

Put a switch in the middle. That'd be good for 100+100 meters. How long do you need it to be?

14 minutes ago, happy57110 said:

Nah, POE wont fry a non-poe device. This is assuming that the POE is following the correct standards (i.e. non-poe devices just don't bridge the specific pins so no circuit is formed).

If your looking for a long single run use a different Ethernet standard - ie. LX is fiber up to 5km, all the way to ZX which is up for 73km or something massive.

1 hour ago, Blake said:

oooo fiber optic cool thanks!

13 hours ago, happy57110 said:

POE (Power over Ethernet) literally has nothing to do with maximum cable length for Ethernet. POE is simply for supplying electricity to an end device (Such as a Security Camera or a Wireless Access Point).

The maximum standard length is 100m. If you need to run longer than 100m, you can add a switch in, which will give you up to another 100m on the other side. In theory, you could keep doing this multiple times.

What length do you need to run?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)