PC buzzing/humming loudly

Kagetora34

I think it's a Hard Drive issue but not sure. I think it's going to be the older 1 TB hard drive I reused from a previous Prebuilt PC (HP computer) so the drive was already about 2 years old. It started recently (like just yesterday recently) I try to ignore it but I think I've developed the same PCD that many system builders get. :P OR it could be the fact that I very stupidly put the bottom front fan as an exhaust instead of intake. :/ So the front top fan and the fan on the bottom of the case are intake and the back case fan and bottom front fan are acting as exhaust. :$

Thing is, they've been like that a while now with no issues but it may have just taken this long to have an issue. I've also observed that some vibration is occurring as I can feel the windowed side panel vibrating when I touch it. When I would push down on the drive cage, the buzz would stop which is what leads me to believe it's a bad drive but I could be wrong so I wanted to seek advice from those more learned than I on what's going on and how to proceed in fixing the problem. Oh, I also have an aging graphics card I really want to upgrade as well.... but I doubt it's the culprit.

Graphics card is the old R9 280 3G OC from Sapphire and Storage Drives are: Samsung EVO 840 250 GB SSD (Boot drive) Secondaries are a 1 TB Seagate Barracuda drive and a WD 2 TB drive. I thinks it's a WD Blue drive but can't remember for certain.I'm betting it's the Seagate drive as it's the oldest and it's a cheapo drive (It's from an HP computer, of course it's cheapo)

The GPU I want to get is the Gigabyte Aorus 580 8gb. The one that has an O.C. mode of 1439MHz and that I'm betting will do at least 1450 or more. So yea, I don't have the funds for both sadly so it's either the GPU which is what I really want to do or the Hard Drive... OR case... I get the feeling the case isn't as strong as it should be for a Full Tower Case. Which is the NZXT Source 530. It has gotten a few dents and dings over the 2 years that I've had it with a slight dent in the top and a big dent in the back as in the back fan area is bowed outward like it was from all the hot air or something.

Is the vibrations constant? If it is, I can't see it being a hard drive as the motor will stop spinning when it's not writing or reading data.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

You can check if its the fans by holding them with your hand (meh not really recommended) 

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.91 GHz RAM: G.Skill 4x4GB 2133Mhz DDR3 GPU: AMD HD 7970 3GB SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB PSU: Corsair HX620W  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Case: Phanteks P400 Tempered Glass (Black) Monitor: Dell P2412H, Dell 2012H Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic Mouse: Logitech G203 Prodigy HDD: WD Black 3TB

19 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Is the vibrations constant? If it is, I can't see it being a hard drive as the motor will stop spinning when it's not writing or reading data.

Yea, it is constant and so is the buzzing sound. Hmm... Maybe I have too many fans going then? They're going pretty much full blast as they are not PWM sadly. The3 fans I put in are Corsai's SP 120 RGB 3-pack fans that has the RGB controller... I might run some experiments tomorrow and try unplugging fans and see what happens there.

I think I've found the problem. Best I can tell, it IS the fans... Top fan in particular. Thing is, with this case, you have to take a lot apart to get to som of the fans like the bottom one plus, I just replaced the fans a few months back. So yea, thanks for the help but I'm probably going to go ahead and change cases.

Unplugged BOTH front fans and STILL get a steady buzz. :| If it's the bottom one then I'm never, EVER buying those fans again.... Lasted about 3 months and now this. :| 

On 4/19/2017 at 7:42 PM, PokeCatz said:

You can check if its the fans by holding them with your hand (meh not really recommended) 

Yea... I tried to and tried to not touch the blades... Still hurt a little.