How to keep I7-4790k @ 4.00GHz

I have a I7-4790k and due to things unrelated they make my computer over heat, I don't have a good heat sink so every time I see my cpu go over 4.00ghz I kinda get worried.

I'm sure having the cpu go up and down is good for applications and things, but what if I just want it at a fixed clock speed?

Zambosoe, was here.

Go to BIOS and set multiplier to 40 if you want it to be 4GHz on all cores.

All set it to 35 and it will be running at 3,5GHz.

i7 4790k are known for running hot

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

You can turn off turbo boost in the motherboard bios, that should stop the CPU from hitting 4, and stay around 3.4 all the time.

10 minutes ago, ZackEcker said:

Thanks ill go do that :D

Don't forget to sync all cores, or you will just oc one,

Alright I, left every thing in AI as auto, and synced all cores to 35, then change the turbo to max battery
and now its running under 3.5 and not going over 3.5, This is exactly what I wanted.

Zambosoe, was here.

Or delid it as Intel use actual poop as adhesive between the die and IHS.

In all seriousness they majorly cheaped out on the paste/adhesive and still do. Why they don't just do a quality job and solder it idk (profit I guess). Delid and something from Thermal grizzly would improve temps by around 20 deg. However beware delidding can be dangerous.

Why not buy a better cooler? The 4790K is a really nice CPU...

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

yes yes, I will this is just to keep it safe so that I have time to buy one , And your right the thermal paste is trash.

Zambosoe, was here.

52 minutes ago, ZackEcker said:

Alright I, left every thing in AI as auto, and synced all cores to 35, then change the turbo to max battery
and now its running under 3.5 and not going over 3.5, This is exactly what I wanted.

Actually, what you really wanted was to keep voltages in check, rather than reducing the speed. If voltage was manually kept under control, you'd most likely be able to run at 4ghz without overheating.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

What voltage would keep it at 4ghz?
and can you tell me how more in depth?

Zambosoe, was here.

6 minutes ago, ZackEcker said:

What voltage would keep it at 4ghz?
and can you tell me how more in depth?

Depends on your chip, really. You're going to have to find it by yourself through trial and error, just like you would for a normal OC (except that you are reducing numbers instead of increasing them).

I'd start out at 1.15v, see if that's stable. It might be, or it may not. Just give it a go. If it is, you can try lowering it further; if it's not, then you'll have to bump it up a bit more and try again.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

alright, thanks for your help.

Zambosoe, was here.