Pump not working properly.

Hi everyone, I'd nearly finished my custom watercooling loop when my pump started acting up. It's a Laing DDC with the bitspower 250 upgrade kit, bitspower top, and EK heatsink. I'm using monsoon compression fittings. When I start the pump, the water level in the reservoir briefly drops, then becomes constant. The pump starts making a sharp crackling sound. When I stop the pump, the water level returns to what it was. The video attached shows this in more detail. Does anyone have any suggestions?

pump.mp4

5 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

that's cavitation. did you get all the air out of the pump? also, try disassembling it and see if there's any damage on the rotor

How would I go about getting the air out of the pump?

6 minutes ago, Mclegendary said:

Take the PC and start tilting it around. Don't be overly violent with it, though, for fairly obvious reasons.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

8 minutes ago, Mclegendary said:

moving it around usually. get the OUT port somewhere up to so the air can escape. 

16 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Take the PC and start tilting it around. Don't be overly violent with it, though, for fairly obvious reasons.

I've tried this, and now the pump makes a deep whirring sound without changing the water level at all. Air bubbles rise from the pump to the top of the reservoir. Do I need to completely fill the reservoir, and should I run the loop with the top of the reservoir closed?

2 minutes ago, Mclegendary said:

I've tried this, and now the pump makes a deep whirring sound without changing the water level at all. Air bubbles rise from the pump to the top of the reservoir. 

Even though I haven't done my own custom loop, just taking a guess at this I'd be inclined to think the impeller is loose (ya know, not really spinning with the motor). Again, grain of salt because no IRL experience, but that's my two cents.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

34 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Even though I haven't done my own custom loop, just taking a guess at this I'd be inclined to think the impeller is loose (ya know, not really spinning with the motor). Again, grain of salt because no IRL experience, but that's my two cents.

I disassembled my pump and reseated  the impeller,

but nothing's working. Is it time to call my pump dead? 

3 minutes ago, Mclegendary said:

I disassembled my pump and reseated  the impeller,

but nothing's working. Is it time to call my pump dead? 

If you can't get the impeller really on there somehow I probably would. Then again I'm super impatient.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

I'm not familiar with that exact pump top, but is one port an inlet and one and outlet?  It sounds/looks to me like the pump is deadheading, or not flowing because a proper loop hasn't been made.  Seems like it is trying to push water from the res out of both the tubes connected to the pump.  Is there a manual that is available for it that states which ports can be used as what?  Sometimes its more complicated that it would seem

edit: also can you see any swirling of the water in the res while it is running?  It may just be passing small bubbles and it sounds worse than it is.  The water level will do that if there is alot of air trapped in a radiator or something like that.  Could you post pics of the entire loop?

edit 2: Just from looking at the clear top, it seems to me that it only wants you to use one inlet (top or side) and your setup would be using 2.  I may be wrong and I can find any documentation for it.  Do you have a multiport top for the res you could use for an inlet instead of back to the top?  I think that inlet may only be for the 2nd pump in series

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

8 hours ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

I'm not familiar with that exact pump top, but is one port an inlet and one and outlet?  It sounds/looks to me like the pump is deadheading, or not flowing because a proper loop hasn't been made.  Seems like it is trying to push water from the res out of both the tubes connected to the pump.  Is there a manual that is available for it that states which ports can be used as what?  Sometimes its more complicated that it would seem

edit: also can you see any swirling of the water in the res while it is running?  It may just be passing small bubbles and it sounds worse than it is.  The water level will do that if there is alot of air trapped in a radiator or something like that.  Could you post pics of the entire loop?

edit 2: Just from looking at the clear top, it seems to me that it only wants you to use one inlet (top or side) and your setup would be using 2.  I may be wrong and I can find any documentation for it.  Do you have a multiport top for the res you could use for an inlet instead of back to the top?  I think that inlet may only be for the 2nd pump in series

I did have a multiport top on hand, and using that as an inlet fixed some of the strange noises my pump was making. Now I have to wait for an aqua pipe to prevent the falling water. I'm also going to try filling the loop through one of the vacant ports on the radiator.