How important is a modular power supply?

DAL1189
Go to solution Solved by bgibbz,
2 minutes ago, DAL1189 said:

Updated planned components in the opening post.

tier 2 or above from that list, 550 watt min 650 recommended. 

I was considering getting a Corsair RM650X PSU, priced at £91.97, but I checked the "Holiday buyer's guide 2016" and saw that Linus used a 500W EVGA PSU that was quite a bit less than the price of the corsair (£57.06),  and the 650W version of that is just a few quid more. Is it worth foregoing modularity and efficiency for quite a large saving on cost?

• EDIT: Planned components are:
  • Ryzen 5 1500X, 1600, or 1600X (yet to decide)
  • Prime B350M-A Motherboard
  • Single Stick 8GBCrucial DDR4 2400 
  • Nvidia GTX950 (planning to upgrade this in near future, possibly to 1060,1070 or something from Vega)

What is your specs? I wouldn't recommend the psu Linus recommend, it is a low quality unit. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

As far as "important", being modular won't affect the stability or performance of your system. It's nice to have if you service it often as you'll be able to take the PSU off without undoing cable runs.

But for the love of god don't get the EVGA PSU. That one actually could affect the stability and performance of your system. Get this.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/FQ648d/corsair-power-supply-cp9020101na

Or this, also solid

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/Mp2rxr/deepcool-power-supply-dq550st

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Unless your super worried on aesthetics or are working in a really small case, it doesn't mater that much between a modular and non-modular unit. 

Just now, tom_w141 said:

EVGA > Corsair

According to whom? Thinking that one brand is over the others is inaccurate. The $50 Corsair CXMs are way, way better than the $50 EVGA Bronze units be it the BQ or the B1s. The G2 is better than those and the RMx/RMi are better than the G2 but fall a bit to the G3s.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

According to whom? Thinking that one brand is over the others is inaccurate. The $50 Corsair CXMs are way, way better than the $50 EVGA Bronze units be it the BQ or the B1s. The G2 is better than those and the RMx/RMi are better than the G2 but fall a bit to the G3s.

Brand assumption was probably wrong on my part :P

However I only said that because a) Thats a decent well priced PSU and b) I hear bad things about corsair bronze units.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Brand assumption was probably wrong on my part :P

However I only said that because a) Thats a decent well priced PSU and b) I hear bad things about corsair bronze units.

The Corsair Bronze units are divided in the old CX/M which were average, and the new CXM which are pretty good. Anyone looking for a high-end PSU should take the G2 or an RMx but you definitely don't have to spend 80 pounds to get a good PSU (those start at 50 more or less)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

What is your specs? I wouldn't recommend the psu Linus recommend, it is a low quality unit. 

13 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

EVGA > Corsair

Brand is relatively meaningless when it comes to PSUs. Sure, there are certain brands that should not be bought, but there are shitty ubits from each brand as well as phenomenal units from each brand. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

2 minutes ago, DAL1189 said:

18 hours ago, bgibbz said:

Thank you! Very helpful.

23 hours ago, DAL1189 said:

I was considering getting a Corsair RM650X PSU, priced at £91.97, but I checked the "Holiday buyer's guide 2016" and saw that Linus used a 500W EVGA PSU that was quite a bit less than the price of the corsair (£57.06),  and the 650W version of that is just a few quid more. Is it worth foregoing modularity and efficiency for quite a large saving on cost?

• EDIT: Planned components are:
  • Ryzen 5 1500X, 1600, or 1600X (yet to decide)
  • Prime B350M-A Motherboard
  • Single Stick 8GBCrucial DDR4 2400 
  • Nvidia GTX950 (planning to upgrade this in near future, possibly to 1060,1070 or something from Vega)

A quality 450w power supply can power your system. So you may be able to save a bit of money by going for the Corsair RM550x instead. Other options that you can look at are the Bitfenix Whisper M 450/550w or EVGA Supernova 550w G2.