CPU or GPU upgrade

Hey guys,

Im new to the forums and Im not sure if this is the correct thread to put this post in, however Im looking to upgrade my PC for better performance in gaming, as I got a sweet ass deal on a 43" 4k TV and when I run the majority of games the play somewhat well (I dont touch the settings so whatever the are set as default is how I play them) it seems CHOPPY AS F@!$, and Im not sure what is causing it. I mainly play CSGO but will be purchasing Battlefield one soon, Im on a budget of up to $200 and Im about to head to microcenter lol Id like to know what would be the best bang for buck upgrade. Im assuming a GPU would help but then my CPU would be the bottleneck? Or should I upgrade CPU? Or is there some other alternative? All suggestions would be appreciated!! 

Thanks in advance

System:

Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3

AMD FX-6100

ASUS STRIX 960 GTX 4gb 

4x Ballistix 4gb DDR3 (800mhz)

2x SATA 7.5k rpm HDD (total 900gb)

Corsair H60 AOI water cooler 

NZXT H440 with 6,000 fans in a push pull config. 

What TV did you buy? Go through settings and see if there's an option for something like "game mode".

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.91 GHz RAM: G.Skill 4x4GB 2133Mhz DDR3 GPU: AMD HD 7970 3GB SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB PSU: Corsair HX620W  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Case: Phanteks P400 Tempered Glass (Black) Monitor: Dell P2412H, Dell 2012H Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic Mouse: Logitech G203 Prodigy HDD: WD Black 3TB

Honestly if your running at native 4K your going to have to up your game a lot. ATM only 1080ti will run 4k 60fps atm and cpu would be a R5 or recent i5.

You could reducing the resolution to 1080p or 1440p that will solve your issue most likely. If still choppy might be your TV outputting 30Hz instead of 60Hz. 

Also what do you mean by choppy asf? FPS or framtiming?

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

It does run at 30hz is there any way to combat this? There is a PC MODE 

17 minutes ago, BASEDxGODx706 said:

snip

1. Icon upgrade

2. Bring the resolution down to 1440p so then you can produce 60 fps, which is suitable for playing.

i like trains 🙂

You're in a conundrum.

Say you upgraded the GPU to a 1050 or a 1060, your CPU would bottleneck it pretty badly.  On the flip side, if you upgraded your CPU, you wouldn't notice a very big performance boost.

Buy a cheap mobo+Pentium G4560+RAM combo and upgrade the GPU later on.

4 minutes ago, BASEDxGODx706 said:

If it is at 30hz, you will max at 30fps, no matter what you do

i like trains 🙂

3 minutes ago, BASEDxGODx706 said:

Definitely switch to pc mode. You kinda need a gpu and cpu upgrade. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you look at it, for CS go you should be fine with what you have. It's newer games you'll have issues with. I'd upgrade the cpu first, as the 960 is still a solid enough card.

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

Okay so I guess thats where Im at now, so If I choose not to bother upgrading GPU, and instead go the CPU route (granted, Ill have to change my resolution to 1440p to combat the chop) for the best bang for buck upgrade would you guys say, a better AMD CPU like the 8370, or just to switch to a cheap Intel board and an intel CPU? 

3 minutes ago, Implosivetech said:

If it is at 30hz, you will max at 30fps, no matter what you do

What tv do you have that is locked at 30hz? That's awful. Most TV's have been 60 for the last 10 years because of console gaming (before they got cool and decided graphic>framerate). Still, I have an 8 year old Vizio that has 60hz, and a 52" 4K Philips TV I got on sale on Black Friday at Walmart for $299 usd which is also 60hz.

@crzyces Its an Element 4k Smart tv, I grabbed for $160 brand new, Which looks amazing just streaming things but when it comes to gaming it looks like a Charlie Chaplin film, It isnt very restrictive as far as the gaming goes however is extremely annoying and makes it hard to focus on anything if your moving you sights (aiming) quickly one way or the other. 

9 minutes ago, crzyces said:

What tv do you have that is locked at 30hz? That's awful. Most TV's have been 60 for the last 10 years because of console gaming (before they got cool and decided graphic>framerate). Still, I have an 8 year old Vizio that has 60hz, and a 52" 4K Philips TV I got on sale on Black Friday at Walmart for $299 usd which is also 60hz.

Plasma tv master race

i like trains 🙂

CSGO relies on fps, so 30 fps is a huge disadvantage. For $200, I'd go with:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-X8DTI-F-Motherboard-LGA1366-2x-E5620-2xHeatsink-1x-I-O-Shield-IMPI-/112359038896?hash=item1a291edfb0:g:~t8AAOSw-4BXYevk

along with 16 gigs of DDR3 RAM. This is an absolute steal. I mean insanely great deal. And http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-X5640-SLBVC-2-66Ghz-12M-5-86-FCLGA1366-CPU-Processor-/222467756185?hash=item33cc1c9099:g:0TIAAOSw4CFY6WLm

Buy 2.

Watch this video if you are curious. He also has a great vid for overclocking them.

You don't need two to run them, so if you want to save power just use one.

Last edit, honest... This package already comes with two 5620's I believe, which you could still use, but I would just resell them.

Edited by crzyces

Hey Thanks @crzyces And @VirusStorm Thats what Im trying to figure out now, Im more than likely gonna keep the GPu and try to upgrade cpu wise Im just trying to figure out value wise would it be better to upgrade AMD chips to something like a FX-8350 or just switch to intel and grab something like the i5-6500. 

Just now, BASEDxGODx706 said:

Hey Thanks @crzyces And @VirusStorm Thats what Im trying to figure out now, Im more than likely gonna keep the GPu and try to upgrade cpu wise Im just trying to figure out value wise would it be better to upgrade AMD chips to something like a FX-8350 or just switch to intel and grab something like the i5-6500. 

Get a Ryzen chip or an i5

That FX-8350 won't be much better than your FX 6100

It's still 4-5 years old

Just now, BASEDxGODx706 said:

Thats what I think ill do, Im leaning towards an i5 and a cheap mobo, thanks! @VirusStorm

Happy to help

14 minutes ago, BASEDxGODx706 said:

Thats what I think ill do, Im leaning towards an i5 and a cheap mobo, thanks! @VirusStorm

I still say go with the Xeons unless you are getting it specifically for the ddr4 ram, as to get the performance you'd get from 1 of the x chips I listed you'd need a i5 6600k. and you would have to oc it.

Edited by crzyces
Of course you would have to oc the x5650 too sooo... Anway, the i5>than the amd alternitive and a lot simpler (less fun to play with :)

18 minutes ago, BASEDxGODx706 said:

Whatever you do, make sure your board has usb 3.0, PCIe 3.0 and m.2 support, so at least you have an upgrade path down the line.