Best ~100$ headset for gaming ?

smokefest

Hi guys,

I am looking to buy a new headset. I am looking in the ~100$ price range,

I prefer "velour" or soft pads instead of leather, and my head is shaved i'm almost bald so I want confortable for the top, also I need 7.1 sound, good mic, with cords because I don't like Wireless.

I have been looking at the steelseries Arctis 5  and the hyperx cloud 2

And not sure which one I should buy, I think the hyperx cloud2 has better sound quality ?  40 drivers VS 50ish ?

thanks for helping me decide !

First off, HyperX Cloud 2 is practically the same as HyperX Cloud 1, just more expensive and has Virtual 7.1 surround, which means that it is crap. Second off, buy good headphones and a microphone, Blue Snowball is a good choice. 

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

2 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

Why do you "need" 7.1?

Feel like it will help in Rainbow six siege xD

Any recommandation ?

Just now, smokefest said:

Feel like it will help in Rainbow six siege xD

Any recommandation ?

It won't help, stereo is much more useful. Virtual surround is a gimmick.

2 minutes ago, Underi said:

First off, HyperX Cloud 2 is practically the same as HyperX Cloud 1, just more expensive and has Virtual 7.1 surround, which means that it is crap. Second off, buy good headphones and a microphone, Blue Snowball is a good choice. 

its 10$ more here for the cloud 2, and why would 7.1 sound crap ????

Just now, Matu20 said:

It won't help, stereo is much more useful. Virtual surround is a gimmick.

any recommandation for a ~100$ headset then ?

What about the 2 i've named ? Any other picks ? I don't want to buy seperate headphone and mic, id prefer to have both on a headset even tho its less quality, 

1 minute ago, smokefest said:

any recommandation for a ~100$ headset then ?

What about the 2 i've named ? Any other picks ? I don't want to buy seperate headphone and mic, id prefer to have both on a headset even tho its less quality, 

Then just go with the hyper cloud there popular alot of people like them but it really is Better to go with a separate 

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

Just now, smokefest said:

its 10$ more here for the cloud 2, and why would 7.1 sound crap ????

Because it is virtual. My understanding is that when there is VIRTUAL 7.1, it delays some sounds to make it sound like it's coming from your back or left or right or somewhere between. You can't fit 7 speakers into one headset. 

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

7.1 sound is a complete gimmick (and if you want it, you can make any normal pair of headphones "surround-sound" with software for free).

If you really want good positional audio, you should look at open-backed headphones with good imaging like the Sennheiser G4me series/HD598's or Beyerdynamic DT880/990's. G4me One's pop up every week or so used on eBay for ~$60; DT's are usually ~$100 used on r/avexchange and are some of the most comfortable headphones with the best soundstage and bass available, at least at a reasonable price.

3 minutes ago, Vernw3 said:

Then just go with the hyper cloud there popular alot of people like them but it really is Better to go with a separate 

11 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

Why do you "need" 7.1?

Ok guys ! Then offer me some ~100$ headphones, without mic , that would be best for gaming !! i'll have a look at it , I already ahve a mic at home but its cheap and people doesnt hear me well on teamspeak but i couldt upgrader that later !

Any suggestions ?

1 minute ago, Nimrodor said:

7.1 sound is a complete gimmick (and if you want it, you can make any normal pair of headphones "surround-sound" with software for free).

If you really want good positional audio, you should look at open-backed headphones with good imaging like the Sennheiser G4me series/HD598's or Beyerdynamic DT880/990's. G4me One's pop up every week or so used on eBay for ~$60; DT's are usually ~$100 used on r/avexchange and are some of the most comfortable headphones with the best soundstage and bass available, at least at a reasonable price.

I want to buy new.

12 minutes ago, smokefest said:

I want to buy new.

I would recommend the sennheiser hd558 they are only 80 bucks at best buy; it's a pretty good deal if you ask me

18 minutes ago, smokefest said:

I want to buy new.

Sennheiser HD558's, AD500X's, or Philips SHP9500's, then. There are some Chinese headphones like the ISK HP2010 that will get close to the Beyers, but I have a feeling you probably don't want to deal with Aliexpress either.

If you're looking for positional audio, don't look for 7.1 or closed gaming headphones; open is the way to go.

23 minutes ago, FineVisionz said:

Philips SHP9500

I actually like them A LOT..!! looks confo do you own them ?

A tip: 7.1 surround sound is good for speakers due to those speakers being literally around you. With headphones, you are still technically only getting stereo sound and "surround" even virtual surround will muddy the sound stage. This will make it even more challenging where sounds are coming from. That's why high end cans don't have 7.1, It's really just a gimmick that stuck around because 7.1 surround is a buzzword.

4 minutes ago, Sybre said:

A tip: 7.1 surround sound is good for speakers due to those speakers being literally around you. With headphones, you are still technically only getting stereo sound and "surround" even virtual surround will muddy the sound stage. This will make it even more challenging where sounds are coming from. That's why high end cans don't have 7.1, It's really just a gimmick that stuck around because 7.1 surround is a buzzword.

What about these  : 

Philips SHP9500 ?

Seems legit ? I like em a lot feel like a good one

2 minutes ago, smokefest said:

What about these  : 

Philips SHP9500 ?

Seems legit ? I like em a lot feel like a good one

I mean they're alright open back headphones. I'd take the 598's over them any day but they're also double the price. If you like them then great no need to worry about my opinion.

1 hour ago, smokefest said:

I actually like them A LOT..!! looks confo do you own them ?

I do!  I like them!  If you have any questions about them, feel free to ask! :D

SHP9500 + vmoda boom pro will be your ultimate gaming headset under $100, cloud core and arctis are inferior to the SHP imo..

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

11 hours ago, kaisei said:

Check out the HD558 + V-MODA Boompro.

10 hours ago, nicobombai said:

SHP9500 + vmoda boom pro will be your ultimate gaming headset under $100, cloud core and arctis are inferior to the SHP imo..

I bought the HD 558 due to the fact I loved the velour top and on the ears,

And it looked like quality and I trust you for your experience, seems like a good buy to me also !!!

Concerning the Mic,

I'll chjeck review but, is it plug and play or you have to do anything in particular requiring any knowledge or something I have to know ?