What to study/what to do?

WildCAt

Hi! ^^

I am 19(20 in 3 weeks) and currently studying in university, 2 course, Software Engineering.

I was always more interested in hardware and software relationships. I built myself a PC, I understand how and why it works, doing stuff with Arduino, interested in robotics, cars, modeling, audio stuff and so on. However I started to code only in high school. Editing scripts and other stuff in childhood does not count)

I applied to Software Engineering because I thought "well, I will learn how to code well and then I will be able to decide the direction of my work more precisely". But nope, end of 4 semester and I am not went too far from school program, because AS IT TURNED OUT university program will not teach me how to code or work on the projects or what will I need to find work, but I am more IT analyst than programmer... My studies was created by 73 year old man, so NOTHING innovative here... 

I need to find practice now and if I all this time I did not studied more than the program requires, my level of knowledge would be somewhere around "find the area of a square, but objectively and use Scrum and git".

Also, in Lithuania (it's where I live) web programming rules it all. 90% of work is related to online services, websites, money transfer and so on. And these jobs are well paid. But I have no interest in it at all, I have no knowledge of it and I spend  all my time learning how do I code the robot or scripting DJ controller and not how to use frameworks like Laravel, what node.js is and why the hell do I need it.

I would like to work on such projects like.. umm.. For example: coding electronic ABS system for a car, programming multimedia/GPS system, coding robots, various chips, something that physically does at least something. Or something that is related to AI, artificial neural networks maybe. Or developing "local" software like OS, Photoshop, games, Ableton/FL and so on. That would make me happy :) 

In my country I can't do anything of what I've just listed :D:| 

So, the question is:

Do I need to study "web programming" and work there, even if I don't really like it?

OR

Continue to pursue my interests and try to find a job after university in another country? Sth like getting magistracy degree abroad and find a job in country where I will have more choice/opportunities? 

Looking forward for any advice or thoughts!! :)

I would DEFINITELY go find work in a different country. Why would you do something you don't like? Just for the paycheck? Never do that. Always do what you are interested in and enjoy. I'm personally into web design actually. But I enjoy any other coding. But seriously just do what you enjoy even if it means you'll have to move. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

If you don't like it, don't do it - unless you're desperate. Realistically web development is something you can learn on your own if you know the basics of programming, if you ever find yourself in a pinch going back to it shouldn't be a problem. Software engineering is more about coordinating a team and designing software than actual programming; it can offer interesting challenges but it's definitely not for everyone. If you like robotics there are dedicated university courses that you can take, maybe even in your country, but bear in mind there's a lot of math involved.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Software engineering student here it's like Sauron said "one ring to rule them all" XD. If u like to program doesn't matter what, I recommend learn one language well at school or collage, from there learning any other language it's somewhat easy. U can find some freelance work online and from there u should consider working on another country. Companys like people that can learn by themselves, that shows u like to learn new stuff.