windows 10 creators update

SHADY16

so earlier today i attempted to install the creator update using the windows update assistant and everything went wrong had to completely reformat my pc and everything with it. im trying to figure out why before i attempt again. i am on 1511 again even before the anniversary update which wont show up either for me any help will be much appreciated

i7 12700k/Asus Tuf z690/32GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHZ/EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra/Samsung 980 Pro 1TB/Asus 2540x1440p 165hz Gsync/Acer 2560x1440p G Sync 144hz

23 minutes ago, SHADY16 said:

so earlier today i attempted to install the creator update using the windows update assistant and everything went wrong had to completely reformat my pc and everything with it. im trying to figure out why before i attempt again. i am on 1511 again even before the anniversary update which wont show up either for me any help will be much appreciated

Get the media creation tool, redownload Windows and reinstall again as the MCT includes the Creators update now so you won't have to download/install anything separately.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

It also means you'll have a copy of the latest installer.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

7 hours ago, SHADY16 said:

They are many factors that can explain why the upgrade fails. The usual culprit are:

• Third party Anti-Virus thinks an attack is being made, and tries to block it, and breaks everything in the process. It is recommended to uninstall your anti-virus before upgrading, and re-installing it back. Or make sure it is fully updated to the latest version, and that version is the following update ready, and supports/expects the upgrade process, before starting the upgrade process.
  • Registry got corrupted at critical sections (this usually happens if you use registry cleaner or defragment utilities)
  • Drivers where not updated before updating, and the driver contains a bug that makes the upgrade process fails.
  • The system had or has a virus or malware. Keep in mind that virus and malware, while they are many types, and all act differently, many modifies system files. While your anti-virus, including Windows built-in one, can remove the infection, it won't fix or undo changes done on modified system files.
  • Hardware failure. Consumer hardware, even the best you can get, are 97+ % reliable "only". Server equipment are 99% (and that is part of the high price, and why they have stuff like ECC memory, redundancy on circuitry, high quality components everywhere, error correction circuits everywhere, etc... basically, everything is over built). Also, manufacture error can come into play, where under the intense load, something can temporarily fail.

7 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Get the media creation tool, redownload Windows and reinstall again as the MCT includes the Creators update now so you won't have to download/install anything separately.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

It also means you'll have a copy of the latest installer.

tried the media creation tool to upgrade and that got an error too

i7 12700k/Asus Tuf z690/32GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHZ/EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra/Samsung 980 Pro 1TB/Asus 2540x1440p 165hz Gsync/Acer 2560x1440p G Sync 144hz