Which motherboard?

Good morning/afternoon/night ( depending on your time zone ), hope you are having a great day.

So recently i got my i7 7700k, i was wondering which Z270 board should I go for, the price range is around the 140~175ish bucks, I am mainly looking for a "hassle free" board, that i don't have to update the bios for 3200mhz ram to work.

Just take the one that looks the best or from a brand that you prefer.

At that price tag there is basically no bad option. Every motherboard should do those ram speeds easily if the ram itself is fast enough.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Any Z270 mobo will do. I prefer Asus or Gigabyte.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Asus Prime z270a is a nice board

got a color scheme in mind?

heres a list that matches your criteria - 

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#m=8,18,27&f=2&c=119&X=0,17500

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

A slightly more budget option would be the MSI SLI Plus, which I've seen really good reviews of. If you want RGB, I'd suggest the Gaming Pro Carbon, or if you want a good all arounder the prime z270a from asus is also pretty good.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

12 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

Asus Prime z270a is a nice board

got a color scheme in mind?

heres a list that matches your criteria - 

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#m=8,18,27&f=2&c=119&X=0,17500

I initially tried purchasing the z270a, but then i kept on reading the reviews and some say that its has compatibility problems with ram and that sometimes even the i7-7700k doesnt work, that i needs  abios update, so i cancelled the order.

14 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Any Z270 mobo will do. I prefer Asus or Gigabyte.

I was looking at the Aorus gaming k5, but i've never tried Gigabyte, are they good?

6 minutes ago, ivryk said:

I initially tried purchasing the z270a, but then i kept on reading the reviews and some say that its has compatibility problems with ram and that sometimes even the i7-7700k doesnt work, that i needs  abios update, so i cancelled the order.

I was looking at the Aorus gaming k5, but i've never tried Gigabyte, are they good?

Every brand is good. Get ATX mobo as more components can be fitted into the mobo, thus result in more power phases=stabler OC

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

8 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Every brand is good. Get ATX mobo as more components can be fitted into the mobo, thus result in more power phases=stabler OC

Thank you for your suggestion. Are 8 phases enough? 

4 minutes ago, ivryk said:

Thank you for your suggestion. Are 8 phases enough? 

Yes. Perfect for light and moderate OC. (Even heavy OC if the CPU condition is excellent for OC)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Just now, ZM Fong said:

Yes. Perfect for light and moderate OC.

Awesome, thanks!, ill go with the Aorus Gaming k5.

22 minutes ago, ivryk said:

I believe you are getting the z270a and the z170a confused. The z270 Prime a ( as linked below) will work the i7 7700k and to my knowledge has no compatibility issue (it shouldn't, as CPU and RAM compatibility is determined by the chipset).

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7VZ2FT/asus-prime-z270-a-atx-lga1151-motherboard-prime-z270-a

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

2 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

I believe you are getting the z270a and the z170a confused. The z270 Prime a ( as liked below) will work the i7 7700k and to my knowledge has no compatibility issue (it shouldn't, as CPU and RAM compatibility is determined by the chipset).

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7VZ2FT/asus-prime-z270-a-atx-lga1151-motherboard-prime-z270-a

I thought same at first, however the Amazon review said "Prime z270a", saw the same for few Msi pro carbon's, i guess there was a bad batch.

11 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Yes. Perfect for light and moderate OC. (Even heavy OC if the CPU condition is excellent for OC)

The number of phases isn't everything though; for instance, the "10 phases" on the MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon are far, far worse than the "8+2" on the Maximus Impact. This is because the Gaming Pro Carbon only has three true phases to the the Impact's eight true phases, on top of a PWM frequency of only 600kHz to the Impact's 2Mhz. In absolute power cleanliness terms, we're left with 3*600,000 pulses per second for the Gaming Pro Carbon against 8*2,000,000 on the Impact, making the VRM on the Impact "almost 9X better". Add to that a much higher maximum wattage, digital vs analog, and other things. Of course the real effect of regulation doesn't scale linearly like that, but it's still a significant difference.

9 hours ago, Nimrodor said:

The number of phases isn't everything though; for instance, the "10 phases" on the MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon are far, far worse than the "8+2" on the Maximus Impact. This is because the Gaming Pro Carbon only has three true phases to the the Impact's eight true phases, on top of a PWM frequency of only 600kHz to the Impact's 2Mhz. In absolute power cleanliness terms, we're left with 3*600,000 pulses per second for the Gaming Pro Carbon against 8*2,000,000 on the Impact, making the VRM on the Impact "almost 9X better". Add to that a much higher maximum wattage, digital vs analog, and other things. Of course the real effect of regulation doesn't scale linearly like that, but it's still a significant difference.

I've heard that before. That's why I didn't recommend MSI boards. Thanks for your elaboration!

Desktop specs:

Spoiler