Risk new mobo or replace mobo+cpu?

Go to solution Solved by Alkali A,
1 minute ago, mebaby2 said:

Thanks for responding, it does seem like a smarter choice heres hoping my 6700k still works.

I have just been kicking myself having to spend the amount of money for either no or little difference.

no problem, it's definitely got the possibility to be the cheaper choice of the two that's for sure.

And yeah, dead hardware just kind sucks all around, plus you'll probably have to get a new windows key either way :/ 

on the plus, you could try getting a Z270 motherboard; see if that tickles your fancy at all (it's not even more expensive, lol)

and I might add that the R7 1700 is more of a step sideways than up imo, more cores, lower clock speeds, quite possibly lower overclocks, meh.

anyways, glad I could offer my help in any way!

So my ranger motherboard kicked the can, possibly my 6700k?

Kept hanging on 00 code, tried evrything reseating cpu etc etc.

Now i cant decide to either get a  MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X motherboard, and if cpu is busted aswell a 7700k to replace it.

Or if i should just outright get a ASUS CROSSHAIR VI HERO with a r7 1700?

Out here it differs about 100 euros unless my old cpu is alive but if i didnt have the possibly living 6700k i would go with ryzen without second thought.

And im geussing my Vengeance LPX 2666mhz ram works on both options.

Basicly im looking for opinions.

I do some light editing video/photo and gaming/media heck my pc runs my life....

personally (and this is key) I would get a new Z170 or Z270 (idk is the 6700k is compatible with the Z270?) and test the 6700K and if that doesn't work get a 7700K

they're both pretty darn good cpus and if there's a chance to save money, why not try right?

2 hours ago, Alkali A said:

personally (and this is key) I would get a new Z170 or Z270 (idk is the 6700k is compatible with the Z270?) and test the 6700K and if that doesn't work get a 7700K

they're both pretty darn good cpus and if there's a chance to save money, why not try right?

Thanks for responding, it does seem like a smarter choice heres hoping my 6700k still works.

I have just been kicking myself having to spend the amount of money for either no or little difference.

1 minute ago, mebaby2 said:

no problem, it's definitely got the possibility to be the cheaper choice of the two that's for sure.

And yeah, dead hardware just kind sucks all around, plus you'll probably have to get a new windows key either way :/ 

on the plus, you could try getting a Z270 motherboard; see if that tickles your fancy at all (it's not even more expensive, lol)

and I might add that the R7 1700 is more of a step sideways than up imo, more cores, lower clock speeds, quite possibly lower overclocks, meh.

On ‎8‎-‎4‎-‎2017 at 9:10 AM, Alkali A said:

Motherboard was the culprit swapped it out for a z270 mITX so i could finally downsize my pc while i was at it.

PS : did not need a new windows key just logged in with my windows account and clicked ''added new hardware'' and it registered.

3 minutes ago, mebaby2 said:

Motherboard was the culprit swapped it out for a z270 mITX so i could finally downsize my pc while i was at it.

PS : did not need a new windows key just logged in with my windows account and clicked ''added new hardware'' and it registered.

awesome! saved a few bucks, downsized your pc, and even answered a question for me, lol

I've always wondered with the new registry system if I would be able to change motherboards, and now I know it seems, cool.