18 month old gaming pc what to do ?

Go to solution Solved by IrshaadH,

Couple points:

1) I'm not sure you'll need to aim for super-high framerates in order to be competitive in Destiny 2 -- this isn't CS:GO or Overwatch we're talking about.  Your GPU should be able to push 1440p 60fps at High-Ultra settings in Destiny 2.  The nice thing about resolutions above 1080p is you won't really need to crank up AA settings above 2xMSAA, which should free up a ton of GPU power.

2) This is Bungie's first foray into PC gaming since the Halo 2 PC port, so engine optimization could either be really well done or terribly poor -- I would urge you to hold off until release.

Your GPU is still really strong.  If you must buy a 1440p 144hz monitor, do so when you're ready and see how the 980TI holds up in the games you normally play before you upgrade the GPU.

Hi everyone I've had my pc for 18 months and it was used for 1080p gaming but now I think I want to upgrade to either 1440p or else 4k my current setup is

i7 4790k
phanteks cpu cooler
msi z97 gaming 5
corsair vengeance pro 2x8gb ddr3-1866 memory
samsung 850 evo 250gb ssd
seagate barracuda 2tb hard drive
evga gtx 980 ti super clocked
thermaltake v71
evga 850w 80+ gold certified fully modular power supply
asus vg248gq 144hz monitor

its mostly to play the new game destiny 2 so if I kept my current pc what kind of frame rate could I expect at 1440p ? also what would I need to upgrade to get a minimum 100fps at 1440p and also if I decide to go to 4k ? I know 4k is obviously better but is the jump from 1440p to 4k very noticeable ?

You're asking about a game that isn't even out. Nobody knows how well it'll run.

If you're going to try and target high framerates at 1440p, you're going to need more GPU power. But like I said, Destiny 2 isn't even out so I don't exactly know how much GPU horsepower is "enough" if you want a minimum of 100FPS at 1440p. Most likely two GTX 1080Ti in SLI (if the game even supports multi-GPU configs).

On the topic of 1440p 144Hz vs 4K 60Hz... there's a big difference when comparing 1440p to 4K but many people rather retain the higher refresh rate instead of sticking to 60Hz. So it's ultimately a subjective choice. I'm in the 1440p 144Hz boat myself.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Thanks for the reply I didn't even know monitors at 4K were limited to 60hz so yea I won't be doing that, it will be 1440p 144hz so two 1080ti really ? I thought 1 card would do 1440p no ? Also would I just need to upgrade my gpu nothing else ?

Couple points:

1) I'm not sure you'll need to aim for super-high framerates in order to be competitive in Destiny 2 -- this isn't CS:GO or Overwatch we're talking about.  Your GPU should be able to push 1440p 60fps at High-Ultra settings in Destiny 2.  The nice thing about resolutions above 1080p is you won't really need to crank up AA settings above 2xMSAA, which should free up a ton of GPU power.

2) This is Bungie's first foray into PC gaming since the Halo 2 PC port, so engine optimization could either be really well done or terribly poor -- I would urge you to hold off until release.

Your GPU is still really strong.  If you must buy a 1440p 144hz monitor, do so when you're ready and see how the 980TI holds up in the games you normally play before you upgrade the GPU.

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

1 hour ago, IrshaadH said:

Couple points:

Thanks you for your reply I think I'll just pick up a 1440p first like you suggested also if I feel I need more fps can I just upgrade my graphics card or do I need other stuff as well ?

Just GPU.  I have a 3570k (5 year old processor) paired with a 1080 and very seldom notice a CPU bottleneck at 1440p.

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

8 minutes ago, IrshaadH said:

Just GPU.  I have a 3570k (5 year old processor) paired with a 1080 and very seldom notice a CPU bottleneck at 1440p.

Thank you