New to Building - Gaming/VR PC

FatalxLTT

Hi All,

New to this forum and PC building, but not new to building in general. Looking to build a Gaming/VR ready rig that is at least somewhat "futureproofed." I think I've got a solid start to my build, but would like other opinions/suggestions on it. The build has to be under $1500, but would prefer to stay around the $1400 mark (USD). I will be using an old GTX 950 that I have for now, so no need to add a graphics card into the build/pricing. I can always upgrade that later down the line. Also, I'm not too worried about the small amount of memory for now as I typically don't download a whole lot of stuff and plan on adding more memory down the line.

Thanks for any tips/suggestions/advice!

PCPartsPicker link: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b7gDXH

looks good except you will only really ever need 8gb of ram. I also would be worried about vr performance on  gtx 950 I personally wouldn't go for a 512gb m.2 ssd i would go for a 1tb hdd and a 120/256gb ssd might save you some money.

I plan on swapping to a GTX 1080 once the prices drop and will probably add a 2TB SSD at that point as well. Maybe another M.2 SSD as well.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YFnsBP
Dropped thermal paste. New Kaby Lake CPU has poor OC control. Even an excellent thermal paste may not help to decrease CPU temperature.
Change PSU wattage to 650W.
You can get cheap Windows key from Kinguin
Btw why do you want a NVMe SSD? Imo the 850 Evo is enough for gaming.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

I chose the nvme for the ridiculous read speeds. When I played the vive on my buddies rig there were some pretty hefty load times for some vr games. I don't mind upgrading this rig as I need to. I just want to get a really solid start on it. I chose the 750w for potential to sli in the future if it becomes necessary, but I'm not opposed to the 650w.

I also thought that the pre-applied thermal paste wasn't the best and most people replaced it, so that's why I had it. Like I said I'm pretty new to this stuff, so definitely open to suggestions.