Have 8 GB of RAM, considering upgrade

Good evening!

I am considering a RAM upgrade, as it seems 8 GB are holding my PC back from playing games like BF1 and ME:A at 60 fps 1080p ( even at min graphics) by a little bit. Overclocking my GPU didn't help noticeably, and from the results i got at Game-debate I can see my RAM is kind of lacking.
My rig:
Intel Core i5 4570 3.2 GHz
8 GB RAM (Corsair Vengeance, 1600 MHz, DDR3, single stick)
AMD Radeon R9 280 (Gigabyte, OC Windforce)
Samsung 840 Evo SSD 120 GB, (dunno if it matters that much)

Also, since its a single 8 GB stick, can I upgrade, lets say, to 12 gig, or will it have signirficant consequences (I watched the vid down below)? I may get a new rig in a year or so, so I don't need a long term solution.
Edit: T
he new PC I will get is probably gonna support DDR4 only.
Thanks in advance!

vid:

so you're running out of ram (100% utilization or around there)

you should get a 1x8gb stick, so you can add in 2 more sticks of 8gb for 32gb in total later on

there would have minimal consequences if you use 1x4gb, but might as well get 1x8gb

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

so you're running out of ram (100% utilization or around there)

you should get a 1x8gb stick, so you can add in 2 more sticks of 8gb for 32gb in total later on

there would have minimal consequences if you use 1x4gb, but might as well get 1x8gb

I should edit this, the new PC I will get is probably gonna support DDR4 only, so the extra DDR3 RAM beyond 16 GB is gonna be pointless.

I have 12GB (2x2GB, 2x4GB) of ram from two different manufacturers with the same exact speed and cas and have no issues.

Preferably find the exact stick you're using or 4GB variant of it. Alternatively, find different one. However, bear in mind that the new stick has to have same speed and cas (CL) as your old one.

Just now, tria1999GR said:

I should edit this, the new PC I will get is probably gonna support DDR4 only, so the extra DDR3 RAM beyond 16 GB is gonna be pointless.

then just hold on until you can get your new pc, but if you cant go for 1x4gb on the cheap

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.