Network storage setup.

Hello good people,

i am planning to setup a NAS for local backups of all my computers on the network at my workplace. What is the best way to achieve good speed, while transfering on the network , and also how should i setup the NAS, any proprietary solutions , or dedicate a seperate PC and OS for this job. 

Thank you

If this at work but a pre-made nas from synology so you have support. 

For speeds,gigabit is fine for most backup uses and almost all network stuff from the last 10 years supports it. 

What systems are you backing up? If your running Windows systems on a domain, Windows server has some good backup solutions and I'd probably get something like a Dell r530 and put server 2016 on it and add it to the domain. 

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If this at work but a pre-made nas from synology so you have support. 

For speeds,gigabit is fine for most backup uses and almost all network stuff from the last 10 years supports it. 

What systems are you backing up? If your running Windows systems on a domain, Windows server has some good backup solutions and I'd probably get something like a Dell r530 and put server 2016 on it and add it to the domain. 

Synology in India is way too expensive. I was planning on using my old i3 computer , for this. Also, an ultra noob , question, Most motherboards support Gigabit LAN right? So connecting my PC to the Router and  Another laptop to the same router using lan cable should give me good speeds.

I would make a freenas box and have a ram cache or ssd cache and hav hdd in raid

22 minutes ago, Akshajb said:

Synology in India is way too expensive. I was planning on using my old i3 computer , for this. Also, an ultra noob , question, Most motherboards support Gigabit LAN right? So connecting my PC to the Router and  Another laptop to the same router using lan cable should give me good speeds.

Yea most boards have gigabit. If you already have a gig network I'd just install open media vault and then point windoes backup or rsync to the nas. 

8 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea most boards have gigabit. If you already have a gig network I'd just install open media vault and then point windoes backup or rsync to the nas. 

All the Systems at the workplace are macs, I was planning to build a FreeNas, but i do not have any idea regarding RAM cache/SSD cache

1 hour ago, Akshajb said:

All the Systems at the workplace are macs, I was planning to build a FreeNas, but i do not have any idea regarding RAM cache/SSD cache

For a gigabit network you don't need a cache  ssd at all and 8 gb ram is fine.