Which of these TVs is a better deal ?

ghibli

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a new TV and I'm just stuck.

I can go for this

Or this

Which one is better ? In what way ? How about the "bang for the buck" ?

This is killing me, thank you in advance if you can help :P

Samsung gets my vote, they are literally the same but Samsung

@deXxterlab97 So to you it only comes down to the quality of the brand ? And Samsung is better ?

How about Direct LED vs Edge LED/Local dimming ? Which looks better ?

On 04/04/2017 at 1:28 PM, ghibli said:

@deXxterlab97 So to you it only comes down to the quality of the brand ? And Samsung is better ?

How about Direct LED vs Edge LED/Local dimming ? Which looks better ?

BTW the Philips also supports Ambilight, which is the tech that projects colours onto the wall BEHIND the TV that "match" the general colours of the image on screen - in theory it creates great atmosphere and immersion. If that's a feature you're interested in, I'd just go ahead with the Philips.

Edge Lit LED and Local Dimming are different things, also. Edge Lit means that all the LED's are along the edge of the casing, and there are no LED's in the middle behind the screen. The upside to this is that it's thinner. The downside is that you can lose out on brightness in the middle sometimes, and individual definition won't be as good.

Direct-LED simply means it's a grid array of LED's (But made in a cheaper and less complex fashion compared to "full array" LED grids). There are usually rows of LED's. Direct-LED often cannot do local dimming at all (unlike full grid arrays).

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2012/05/what-is-a-direct-lit-led-lcd-tv/index.htm

Local Dimming usually means there's a full grid array of LED's that can each independently dim, creating much better contrast and blacks. It allows you to have one part of the screen be very bright, while another part is quite dark. Edge Lit LED arrays can have local dimming, but the term is used very loosely, and each part of the grid is quite a bit larger.

https://www.cnet.com/news/led-local-dimming-explained/

So in this context, you need to decide what's more important to you: Local Dimming, or overall brightness. The contrast on the Edge Lit Local Dimming TV is probably better, but the lack of a full grid array is going to hurt the local dimming performance.

I would look at reviews of both TV's, and see which one scores highest, and then use that, combined with the feature differences (Ambilight vs Local Dimming, basically) to see what's more important to you.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)