Gaming Build Plan (Help Required)

So I have been wanting to upgrade my current gaming rig but the components are not suitable anymore for gaming. I have:

i3-4170 (bottlenecks in BF1)

GTX 750ti

8GB DDR3 RAM

1 TB Hard drive

Those are the almost essential components for gaming.

As of right now i have my GCSE's coming up (kinda like finals in the US) and I would like to focus on that first. After the exams I would be working a job to pay for the system, buying in incrimental chunks. My budget is around £800 - £900 and i would like to base this system on gaming and moderate content creation. I would like it to be futureproof and I do not have any preferences towards companies i.e. Intel or AMD. The games I will be playing will be GTA V, Battlefield 1, COD MW Remastered and other Triple A Titles at 1080P High - Max Settings.

I have an Idea of the case and Storage but it is the CPU, GPU, PSU, RAM and Motherboard that I am uncertain of (I want the best performance for money).

I heard that the new Ryzen CPU's are good value for money but in the UK the prices are ridiculous with them going for £500 for an 1800X.

Thank you for the help in advance!!. 

2 minutes ago, SwarmEdits said:

So I have been wanting to upgrade my current gaming rig but the components are not suitable anymore for gaming. I have:

i3-4170 (bottlenecks in BF1)

GTX 750ti

8GB DDR3 RAM

1 TB Hard drive

Those are the almost essential components for gaming.

As of right now i have my GCSE's coming up (kinda like finals in the US) and I would like to focus on that first. After the exams I would be working a job to pay for the system, buying in incrimental chunks. My budget is around £800 - £900 and i would like to base this system on gaming and moderate content creation. I would like it to be futureproof and I do not have any preferences towards companies i.e. Intel or AMD. The games I will be playing will be GTA V, Battlefield 1, COD MW Remastered and other Triple A Titles at 1080P High - Max Settings.

I have an Idea of the case and Storage but it is the CPU, GPU, PSU, RAM and Motherboard that I am uncertain of (I want the best performance for money).

I heard that the new Ryzen CPU's are good value for money but in the UK the prices are ridiculous with them going for £500 for an 1800X.

Thank you for the help in advance!!. 

which components will you be reusing?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Just now, herman mcpootis said:

which components will you be reusing?

Most likely just the Hard Drive, I want to upgrade to DDR4 RAM as DDR3 prices have sky rocketed and the price difference between the CPU's supporting DDR3 and DDR4 are as so slim that it is worth the extra money.

Just now, SwarmEdits said:

Most likely just the Hard Drive, I want to upgrade to DDR4 RAM as DDR3 prices have sky rocketed and the price difference between the CPU's supporting DDR3 and DDR4 are as so slim that it is worth the extra money.

Wait for R5. I'm assuming you have peripherals?

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 RAM: G.Skill 16gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Extreme Gaming PSU: EVGA 700B Storage: 480GB SP SSD and a 960GB Ultra II Sandisk. Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: Phanteks P400. 

Just now, JR8 said:

Yes I do, possibly another Monitor but that will not be included in the PC Budget.

So the i3 you have now is at 100% load while the GPU isn't? with a 750ti? What monitor do you use and what frame rates are you pushing that the CPU is working so hard to keep up with the 750?

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

2 minutes ago, SwarmEdits said:

something like this?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  (£297.54 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: ASRock AB350M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£71.37 @ CCL Computers) 
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  (£83.99 @ Amazon UK) faster ram if you can afford it
Storage: SK hynix SL308 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£71.99 @ Eclipse Computers) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card  (£326.48 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic ECO 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£43.74 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £895.11
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-04 16:39 BST+0100

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, JR8 said:

I was looking at the 7600k CPU's as they are at around £250 which does fit into the budget vut as I said I would prefer the best Price to Performance.

An r5 1500x and an Rx 480 8gb would server you well for 1080p gaming. Depending on time frame the rx 580 may also be out and a good option. 

Just now, knightslugger said:

So the i3 you have now is at 100% load while the GPU isn't? with a 750ti? What monitor do you use and what frame rates are you pushing that the CPU is working so hard to keep up with the 750?

That is correct to an extent, on BF1 i am able to play on 16 Man servers with ease at 1080p medium getting 60fps but when i go to a 32 Man server I cannot play at 720 low at 45fps. 

3 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

something like this?

Motherboard: ASRock AB350M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£71.37 @ CCL Computers) 
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  (£83.99 @ Amazon UK) faster ram if you can afford it
Storage: SK hynix SL308 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£71.99 @ Eclipse Computers) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic ECO 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£43.74 @ Amazon UK) 

All I would need is the case and it would be complete, would you reccomend this for moderate content creation also? 

something like this?

He's looking into gaming performance I think, not content creation.

I was looking at the 7600k CPU's as they are at around £250 which does fit into the budget vut as I said I would prefer the best Price to Performance.

Good idea. Do you plan on overclocking?

PCPartpicker is blocked at my school. Otherwise I'd make you a list. But here's how it would go if I had to do it.

i5 7600k

Some overclock capable motherboard from somebody in whatever form factor that other board is in. i forget

16gb of ok ram. 2133mhz of Corsair Vengeance will work, you can go higher if there isn't really a price change, which i've found is often the case with RAM Speed up to like 2666mhz.

geforce gtx 1050ti or 470

or 1060 or rx480 if you can fit it in the budget. 

Running this off the top of my head so i'm not exactly sure what that comes out to.

Hope this helped. 

Cheers!

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 RAM: G.Skill 16gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Extreme Gaming PSU: EVGA 700B Storage: 480GB SP SSD and a 960GB Ultra II Sandisk. Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: Phanteks P400. 

Just now, JR8 said:

12 minutes ago, SwarmEdits said:

My budget is around £800 - £900 and i would like to base this system on gaming and moderate content creation.

Value for money?? 1060 6GB or RX 480 8GB. You could also wait for Vega. R5 1600(6 Cores, 12 Threads,3.2 Ghz) should be your CPU . Get a B350 Mobo and a decent cooler and overclock the crap out of it.   

3 minutes ago, COUPER MILLAR said:

An r5 1500x and an Rx 480 8gb would server you well for 1080p gaming. Depending on time frame the rx 580 may also be out and a good option. 

I would be purchasing the components in around late July/ August so if the 580 is released then I may go for it. What kind of performance is predicted for the card?

Mmmph. I hate it when I miss words. 

:D 

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

1 minute ago, SwarmEdits said:

All I would need is the case and it would be complete, would you reccomend this for moderate content creation also? 

yeah, the ryzen 1700 is very good for content creation. 

I would be purchasing the components in around late July/ August so if the 580 is released then I may go for it. What kind of performance is predicted for the card?

My guess is a 10-15% improvement over the 480, but this is 100% speculation on my part. 

1 minute ago, SwarmEdits said:

if you're getting the new pc after so long it would be much better to wait till 1-2 weeks before you buy it to ask about your build. prices will change and new products will arrive during those months.

1 minute ago, JR8 said:

Good idea. Do you plan on overclocking?

PCPartpicker is blocked at my school. Otherwise I'd make you a list. But here's how it would go if I had to do it.

i5 7600k

Some overclock capable motherboard from somebody in whatever form factor that other board is in. i forget

16gb of ok ram. 2133mhz of Corsair Vengeance will work, you can go higher if there isn't really a price change, which i've found is often the case with RAM Speed up to like 2666mhz.

geforce gtx 1050ti or 470

or 1060 or rx480 if you can fit it in the budget. 

Running this off the top of my head so i'm not exactly sure what that comes out to.

Hope this helped. 

Cheers!

This did help, thanks a lot!! Just one question though, would it be worth the extra £100 to £150 to get a 1070 instead? As i said i am working for the build so in a sense price isnt a problem to an extent.

5 minutes ago, Devansh Kumar said:

Value for money?? 1060 6GB or RX 480 8GB. You could also wait for Vega. R5 1600(6 Cores, 12 Threads,3.2 Ghz) should be your CPU . Get a B350 Mobo and a decent cooler and overclock the crap out of it.   

Right ok, i was looking at the Dark Rock 3, it is a 190W TDP cooler, i think this would be suitable.

8 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

yeah, the ryzen 1700 is very good for content creation. 

It costs around £300 in the UK so would it be worth it to be buy this instead of the £250 i5 7600k? 

27 minutes ago, SwarmEdits said:

This did help, thanks a lot!! Just one question though, would it be worth the extra £100 to £150 to get a 1070 instead? As i said i am working for the build so in a sense price isnt a problem to an extent.

It would crush everything (and probably be overkill for 1080p), but is a great card for a futureproof system, and if you ever want to upgrade to 1440p, everything will look great.

If you have the money, go for it.

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

22 minutes ago, SwarmEdits said:

It costs around £300 in the UK so would it be worth it to be buy this instead of the £250 i5 7600k? 

Depends on the type of content creation. 

Video rendering? yeah do it.

Photoshop, web design, coding, don't. Not worth the extra euros.

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

3 hours ago, SwarmEdits said:

If you are competing against an i5 then i suggest the 6 core 12 thread R5 1500X for expected ~£210. It is not only cheaper it is going to blow the i5 out of the water for content creation.

7600k £230 (No cooler included)

Basic Air cooler £30

Cheapest Z270 mobo £110

Total: £370

R5 1500X ~£210 (Decent cooler included) - Launch 11/04/17

Cheapest B350 mobo £80

Total = £290

Future games will favour cpu scaling. For best price to performance value, content creation capability and future proofing the Ryzen cpus win hands down. You save £90 there maybe more if you shopped around, i just grabbed cheapest off of amazon.co.uk to make my point. You could either pocket this or invest in better hardware elsewhere, e.g. moving up a gpu tier or buying faster RAM. Using the saving to upgrade the aforementioned hardware will make far more difference to your build than any current IPC arguments for the i5 in todays quad core focused games. It is important to understand games are designed this way because the cpu market had stagnated due to Intel's monopoly and lack of desire/need to compete. With multi core cpus now available to the masses future AAA titles will no doubt take advantage of this. The age of the quad core is ending.