New phone - any suggestions?

Trixanity

Looking for a second opinion on this. I've been in the market for a phone for quite a while but nothing really ticks all the boxes for me.

I've been on my LG G2 since late 2013 and by now the performance is sluggish and battery life has gone down quite a bit (that's despite using custom ROMs), so I really want to move on to a more modern phone.

I have considered just settling for a mid ranger until a flagship device is released that really makes me want to splurge but I'm starting to get fed up with my phone so I feel like I can't wait for the 'perfect' device.

I've been looking at a couple different devices if I were to buy now all with their individual value and shortcomings.

I first looked at the new P10 and P10 Plus but the software is still finicky and I feel like Huawei still needs another year to mature plus there have been a lot of criticism of Huawei not executing properly on these. Alternately I could pick up a Honor 8 on sale for roughly $260 from my carrier and use that till something better comes along. No real development for Huawei/Honor devices though, so I'm stuck with what I get so to speak. Not that development is the most important thing in the orld but it can elevate an Android phone especially when the manufacturer abandons it which has been a life saver on my aging LG G2.

My carrier also offers the new Sony Xperia XZs for roughly $550 (pre-order). If I add another $120 I can get a PS4 Slim 1 TB + 2 controllers bundled with it (valued at $300). I figure I could sell the PS4 for a decent price (I'm sure I could get at least $250 for it) to offset the cost and somewhat subsidize the phone that way because the device itself is mostly unremarkable (if not downright mediocre and perhaps even overpriced) but the new camera is apparently really good and Sony has a decent track record of updates and it ships with 7.1.1; that and it might have a decent developer support because of the Snapdragon chip and unlockable bootloader. And the fingerprint scanner is enabled since it's European. Generally not a fan of Sony's phones though (funnily enough I own an Xperia Z2 tablet and I used to buy Sony Ericsson phones exclusively before the smartphone era).

I have also thought about picking up the Moto G5 Plus (if it comes to market here that is) and slap a case on it (it's ugly as sin) and then wait for something better to come around.

Of course there's also the last option of just being patient and waiting for something I really want. There are still a lot of devices coming out in 2017.

I refuse to buy the LG G6 because of the regional restrictions and Samsung isn't my thing, so S8 is off the table. Just putting it out there before I get those suggestions :)

14 minutes ago, Bob116 said:

oneplus 3t

Probably the best value ever. And it has a headphone jack unlike the iphone 7 (which could have contained it, they would just need to put it on the side but still better than nothing, apple also really overcharges). Also, Oneplus' warranty still covers your device if You're rooted and on a custom rom. They probably have the best warranty out there. And you are paying just over 2/3 of the price of most flagship phones ($600). $450 for this good a phone? That's a steal. 

Also, The specs:

• Snapdragon 821
  • 6gb LPDDR4 ram
  • Adreno 530 GPU
  • 64gb/128gb storage 
  • 5.5" display
  • 16mp on both cameras
  • 3400mAh battery

"You think your Commodore 64 is really neato! What kind of chip you got in there a Dorito?" -Weird Al Yankovic, All about the pentiums

PC 1(Lenovo S400 laptop): 

CPU: i3-3217u

SSD: 120gb Super Cache mSATA SSD

HDD: Random seagate 5400rpm 500gb HDD

RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR3-SODIMM

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

CPU: i5-4260u

HDD: 5400rpm 500gb

RAM: 4gb DDR3 (soldered on :( )

Forgot to mention: no AMOLED displays :)

Thought I had covered all my bases.

My eyes don't agree with them (gives me eyestrain). Otherwise I would have bought a OnePlus 3T ages ago. Have tried a few AMOLED devices of friends and family and they start to mess with my eyes after a short while. It limits the range of devices for me to buy since it's almost half of all devices these days that have them.

Yes, I'm very picky :)

Just now, Trixanity said:

Yes, I'm very picky :)

That's not really picky. You shouldn't get a phone with a screen that strains your eyes. Although that would solve cell phone addiction for some people 

"You think your Commodore 64 is really neato! What kind of chip you got in there a Dorito?" -Weird Al Yankovic, All about the pentiums

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

I would take the Xperia XZ with the free PS4. I actually have a PS4 and I actually really like it a lot more than I thought. If it's free, why not take it? Even if you wouldn't play games on it, it makes a great media box. Although you would loose a headphone jack 

The lg v20 is another option too (apparently it has an ips display instead of amoled)

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

Just now, AA-RonRosen said:

I would take the Xperia XZ with the free PS4. I actually have a PS4 and I actually really like it a lot more than I thought. If it's free, why not take it? Even if you wouldn't play games on it, it makes a great media box. Although you would loose a headphone jack 

The lg v20 is another option too (apparently it has an ips display instead of amoled)

The PS4 is not free but under half price. It's valued at $300 but I'll pay $120 for it to be bundled. Sony is definitely trying to move some units with this offer :)

As far as I know, the V20 is not for sale in Europe, so I would have to import it. Otherwise it's a great phone though. I really like that DAC (I use headphones a lot) but alas LG seems to only offer Europe their scraps right now (No V20 and the barebones version of the G6). I've also thought of waiting for the G6 to drop in price which it probably will. No carriers really sell LG phones anymore but some retailers do sell a few models. That means the price will probably drop quickly to encourage people to buy retail.

PS. I just use approximate $ conversions to make it easy for everyone (adjusted for market differences). The actual prices aren't in dollars :) 

24 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

The PS4 is not free but under half price. It's valued at $300 but I'll pay $120 for it to be bundled. Sony is definitely trying to move some units with this offer :)

As far as I know, the V20 is not for sale in Europe, so I would have to import it. Otherwise it's a great phone though. I really like that DAC (I use headphones a lot) but alas LG seems to only offer Europe their scraps right now (No V20 and the barebones version of the G6). I've also thought of waiting for the G6 to drop in price which it probably will. No carriers really sell LG phones anymore but some retailers do sell a few models. That means the price will probably drop quickly to encourage people to buy retail.

PS. I just use approximate $ conversions to make it easy for everyone (adjusted for market differences). The actual prices aren't in dollars :) 

That is a good option. I don't know of any other recent phones without amoled but I do recommend making a post on forums.xda-developers.com (You're probably familiar with that site if you have a custom rom) because they know more than I do. 

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

Just now, AA-RonRosen said:

That is a good option. I don't know of any other recent phones without amoled but I do recommend making a post on forums.xda-developers.com (You're probably familiar with that site if you have a custom rom) because they know more than I do. 

Yeah, that's a good idea. I did think of sharing elsewhere that is more Android-centric but figured I'd start here though. 

Thanks so far though!

get a huawei mate 9 pro or p10plus. faster processor+self learning algorithm, guarantees u after 18months your phone doesnt slow down. super charging. 30minutes reach 60-70%. 5.5inch 2k ips screen. dual leica camera. LTE-advanced cat12 network? wat androids can compete with these ? 

mmexport1487304962289.jpg