I'm stupid but I need some advice.

Last year I had the brilliant idea to put three 6 year old 320gb harddrives in a little FreeNas system. But I made 1 big mistake: I put them in a Raidz setup whithout any redundancy. today one of the drives failed. ALL of my movies and music are gone (luckily, I also had my pictures on an external harddrive) and now I'm asking you guys for some advice on new harddrives. my budget is around 180 euros. Here are the current specs of the NAS: I5 2400, 16Gb kingston DDR3, Corsair cx450m grey label, 160gb seagate bootdrive, Intel DZ77GA-70K Mobo. Country is the Netherlands.

I5 4470     -     Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo    -    Asus Strix GTX960    -    12Gb ram    -    Adata SP600 128Gb    -    Seagate 2Tb    -    AsRock Fatal1ty B85 Killer    -    Seasonic M12II EVO 520        

IN WIN 703    -     Dell P2414H    -    LG Flatron M197WDP    -    CMSTORM Quickfire XT with MX blue's    -    Logitech  G502

"To finish first, you first have to finish"

Oh you really are stupid for doing that o.O Id suggest Reds get two 2tb and raid 1

4 minutes ago, tp95112 said:

Oh you really are stupid for doing that o.O Id suggest Reds get two 2tb and raid 1

Are the new IronWolf drives from seagate any good? They are much cheaper here.

I5 4470     -     Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo    -    Asus Strix GTX960    -    12Gb ram    -    Adata SP600 128Gb    -    Seagate 2Tb    -    AsRock Fatal1ty B85 Killer    -    Seasonic M12II EVO 520        

IN WIN 703    -     Dell P2414H    -    LG Flatron M197WDP    -    CMSTORM Quickfire XT with MX blue's    -    Logitech  G502

2 hours ago, spark12072001 said:

Are the new IronWolf drives from seagate any good? They are much cheaper here.

The IronWolf drives should be fairly comparable to the WD Red (not Red Pro) drives.

The WD Red Drives are slower - 5400 RPM - but that also means they use less power, and should be quieter (in theory - probably not a noticeable difference in sound though). They also have a smaller cache.

The IronWolf drives are faster - 7200 RPM. They use a bit more power, but have a bit faster speeds.

They seem to have the same warranty (3 years).

I would decide whether power consumption is something you care about - if not? Just buy whatever is cheaper between the two.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just jumping a little into this topic. What are your takes on HGST drives

Ryzen 5 5600x | Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro | Asus TUF RTX3070 | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 3600mhz

2 minutes ago, razorbum said:

Just jumping a little into this topic. What are your takes on HGST drives

Totally fine. Honestly, all the big HDD manufacturers: Seagate, WDC, HGST, and Toshiba - are all pretty comparable and good overall.

HGST used to be one of the best - they're still quite good, but WDC and Seagate are both also quite good.

Fun fact, HGST is owned by WDC now (though all the HGST drives still come out of a former Hitachi factory that WDC bought)

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

10 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

The IronWolf drives should be fairly comparable to the WD Red (not Red Pro) drives.

The WD Red Drives are slower - 5400 RPM - but that also means they use less power, and should be quieter (in theory - probably not a noticeable difference in sound though). They also have a smaller cache.

The IronWolf drives are faster - 7200 RPM. They use a bit more power, but have a bit faster speeds.

They seem to have the same warranty (3 years).

I would decide whether power consumption is something you care about - if not? Just buy whatever is cheaper between the two.

I don't care about noise or power consumption (nas is in another room). I also managed to REBUILD the array with the same drives. only 127 corrupted files out of 40000. now i'm copying everything to my own pc as a backup. but i think i'm going to buy the ironwolf drives then. EDIT: the array has rebuild itself and now al files are back (even the corrupted files xD)