NAS Connection Issues

jslowik

Hey guys, I'll start out by saying networking isn't my area of expertise, and the Google machine just leads me down a series of steps that don't seem to help. Maybe someone out there has a little insight to this.

I recently added a Synology NAS to my network. 90% of the time things are great, however there's a very random problem that crops up on my desktop (which is where I believe the problem to be). I can connect to the web interface, and even media/plex folders on the device no problem. They've never not worked.

However every now and then I can't access folders or even the device itself via Windows file explorer. The solution to this seems to be to uninstall my network adapter in device manager, then scan for hardware changes to reinstall it. After doing that it'll work fine until it doesn't again.

In between working and not working I make no changes to anything. I have SMB 1 through 3 enabled because that comes up a bunch in searching.

I'm sure the issue is me, but I'm kind of at a loss. Reinstalling my network adapter every day will get old quickly. Thoughts?

Thanks for your time!

31 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

are you using the ip or the name. Use the ip and it should work. im guessing a dns porblem.

I wouldn't rule that out at all, especially since I'm the one that set the network up. I'm amazed it works if I'm honest. The web connection is made via the IP, but attempting to access through file explorer using the server name.

Just so I can try to wrap my head around it, why would reinstalling my computer's network adapter fix this? The IPs have been the same on the device since I installed it.

In any case thanks for the tip. Looking into this now!

As an addendum, I had a file left in my quick access that was pointed to ThisPC\Servername\folder. It's playing off the device right now, but I'm not able to open the location from the list. The thumbnail isn't displaying either. Also the few folders that appear and are accessible are using the server name. For example the Plex folders although I actually have Plex using a different location.

Just in case anyone stumbles across this with a similar issue, I think @Electronics Wizardy was on point.

What I ended up doing was setting static IPs for each LAN port on the NAS, and reserving them for the NAS on the router. Then I just modified the hosts file to point the server name to one of those IPs. So far so good.